Thursday, July 7, 2016

Light and Dark

1John‬ ‭1:5-7 - This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Have you heard the message? Has it been declared to you? Have you listened? 

I heard a few times but I didn't listen. I scoffed those whose messages were telling me, not directly but in general, that Jesus was the only way. Of course...I knew who Jesus was. What more did I need? I had been baptized as a baby. I went to church as a child, went to Sunday school and confirmation classes on Saturdays. What more did I need?

Didn't knowing and believing Jesus lived, died and rose again put me in the category of believer? 

Things change when the true light is revealed. When that light exposes the darkness (the presumptions and/or misunderstandings) we all live in until He pierces the so-called darkness we have and reveals the truth, the light, to us. 

The truth is, we do not know the truth until we come to a point in our lives where Jesus Himself, through His Holy Spirit, touches our heart, and changes our thinking process. (Oh, horrors...change?) The Light of Christ has exposed the darkness and revealed the truth. I have no idea how this happens. I was far from desiring God at the time He opened my eyes. Then little by little the truths were revealed. He revealed Himself.

Again, I don't know how this happens but in a moment's time I 
was exposed to the light of Christ and I've not been the same since. I allowed Him to step into my life and begin the transformation. 

Now there is a sweet fellowship with the Lord and others who believe as I do. This is no strange thing. It is legitimate. Jesus is the light of the world. He says so: Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life." (‭‭John‬ ‭8:12‬)  How can anyone who believes Jesus argue that? 

How do I explain the change, the process? I was ripe for it. We may not even realize it. Then once, twice or several times later, we hear a message and instead of pushing it aside we receive it. We put aside all the things we've believed that may have been false. Religion. It's not about that. It's about Jesus. Period. No other person. Ever. 

Jesus revealed Himself to me. He has shown me what truth is. I do have this fellowship. He has cleansed me from sin. I just heard...and listened. Was it hard at first, thinking I'd been right for so long? Yes. But I listened...

John‬ ‭14:6,19b‬ ‭- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. ...Because I live, you will live also.”

No comments:

Post a Comment