Thursday, August 7, 2014

One Will Betray Me


John 13:18-22 - I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, "He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me." Now I tell you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe that I am He. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me. 

When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me." Then the disciples looked at one another, perplexed about whom He spoke.


As I read these words, it was as if for the first time, yet it was not. Prior to these words of Jesus we saw  the Passover meal (the Last Supper) in progress. We saw that Judas had been chosen to betray his Lord and Jesus washed His disciples' feet as an example of humility. Here He tells His disciples ahead of time that someone is about to betray Him...that they will believe He is who He says.

But what struck me most was this might happen daily. Bear with my thoughts here. Could it happen if one claims to know Jesus but in actuality they do not? It comes down to the statements I make frequently that it is not about just knowing who Jesus is but having a relationship with Him. It's not about denomination but about relationship. It's all about Jesus. He has done it all for us. His disciples carried on in His fashion...but they were not Him. It is about devoting our lives to Him alone, doing His will.

I was sitting with a woman I am getting to know for a bit yesterday. We were talking about a mutual friend who may be having surgery this week. This woman said she has been praying to two saints, one of whom I'd never heard of. She does believe God can heal a person completely. But why not pray directly to Jesus Himself if He is our Great Physician? And the best healing of all is our spiritual one, which is our salvation in Jesus Christ alone. With that security if surgery fails or illness continues, we don't have to fear eternity.

It's all about Jesus. No one else. And what I see in this scripture above...it's about receiving Him and Him only that we might be received by the Father. He is the direct link. He is the Mediator. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus. (1Timothy 2:5) No one else. There is no other reference to anyone else. And we are also told to come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16) I can't help but see that if we do not do this, we are, basically, rejecting Him.

Still, I cannot judge anyone. It is up to God. I can only pray that those who think they believe but do not will have their spiritual eyes opened. It is so easy to know Jesus. And so easy to just go directly to Him in prayer for any need. He is never too busy. He doesn't slumber or sleep! He wants to hear from each of us directly. No one else needs to be our mediator between ourselves and Jesus...one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus. Only God hears and answers our prayers.

So while there are many who go about their days thinking they know Jesus, they may really not. They have not received Him in the way He calls us to. It's something to consider...

Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 

2 comments:

  1. How sad for this woman praying to saints rather than to Jesus! Like you had shared, go to our ultimate healer in prayer. Sandra

    ReplyDelete