Friday, August 10, 2012

Snuggling In

Jeremiah 23:24 - Can anyone hide himself in secret places, So I shall not see him?” says the Lord; “Do I not fill heaven and earth?” says the Lord. 

Yesterday was a rainy day up nort'! (Northern Wisconsin in "Wisconsin-ese.") A day of reflection, books, cribbage, quiet, and even an electrician...listening to the rain beating down on the roof of the cabin. 

My friend Carol and I remarked how though we had nothing to do, no place to go, didn't want to venture out in the rain, but rather stay snuggled in our comfortable clothes, coffees in one hand, books in the other hand, in our comfortable appointed chairs, we could be content. And because of the quietness, the presence of the Lord was even greater. Not that we needed to actually think of Him or speak His name. It was just that sense that He was there. We sensed Him just in watching the rain.

"How much better can it get," she remarked. And that so true. We need this quiet time in our lives, away from our house and the activities of the day to get refreshed. I felt a spiritual refreshing taking place. Not that I don't sense God's presence at home...but this is a remote quietness...without the daily routines and responsibilities. A time, as it were, to snuggle in with the Lord.

Who can understand this? I know He is wherever we are. But this is special. A true quiet time with our Heavenly Father. We were, and still are, each both closed in with and delighting in our Lord. He surrounded each of us as we did our own things. Then...we joined together with Him to rejoice again in our activities together...eating (which we're good at), cribbage (which we're also good at), relaxing, talking, even praying together as the Lord led.

Heavenly Father, again I come to You rejoicing in Your company. I rejoice in being snuggled in with You yet another day and allowing the quiet to help our senses feel Your presence. We praise You and bless You, Lord.

We are thankful that because Your Spirit is in us we can always experience Your presence. Lord, You are so great...and greatly to be praised. 

Psalm 139:7, 8b, 10b - Where can I go from Your Spirit? ...(Wherever I am,) You are there. Or where can I flee from Your presence? ...Your right hand shall hold me.

No comments:

Post a Comment