Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Saul/Paul


Acts 9 - As [Saul] journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?" Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads." Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one. Then Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened he saw no one... And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank. 


I'm so struck by this story of conversion. It was instantaneous. Saul saw as the world saw. He was totally blind to the truth of Jesus. He persecuted Christians for their beliefs. So God had to physically blind him to make a point..to get him to the place of believing, to a place of humility and then raise him up! The light [of Christ] shone around him from heaven! That's what happens. I think of the man born blind. This man did not know how he was made to see but he knew that he once was blind but now he saw...and a certain Man did it.

Here's Saul. He was now made blind but, three days later, he was able to see again. And he changed completely. The Lord gave him a new name too, Paul. Saul meant asked or prayed for. Despite the meaning of Paul's name--small--he would become a prolific speaker and preacher because of this impressive conversion experience. God can use the small and insignificant people or things... (Even though I am untrained in speech, I am not in knowledge...2 Corinthians 11:6)  He may have been small in stature, but he also considered himself of no account without the wisdom from above. He also knew where he had been and where he now was--a giant step forward. Just goes to show where we can come from nothing but when used of God we are great in His eyes.

There are many people in the world this has happened to and still yet to come. When nothing looks possible, that's when it's most possible for God. He can take the most obstinate person and make a change. That impressive change is to glorify God because others will say, What in the world happened to the old so and so! People will take notice. They might even listen to the newfound beliefs. I sort of wish this had happened to me...I've changed but not so impressively. Rats!

God's timing is perfect. When all seems hopeless for this situation or that or this person or that, if your faith is as small as a mustard seed, and if you plant seeds yourself, if you follow through in prayer, your Saul could become a Paul! 

A friend gave me a delightful little homemade gift one day which I framed. It's a reminder, both of a discussion we had and a great declaration we can make. It says:  Call those things which do not exist as though they did. It is the last part of Romans 4:17.  I pray for a voice! In a way it would be I my own Saul/Paul conversion. (Although I've heard my voice on tape and think how it might be best for me to keep my thoughts on paper!)

The Lord declared a lot of things. In Christ we can do the same. If it's in the Bible, it can be. The Bible, the Word, Christ...can be all things to all people. He can transform. Here are a few declarations:

Genesis 1 - And God said...and it was good.
Isaiah 42:8-9 - I am the LORD, that is My name...Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.
Psalm 81:10 - I pray, open my mouth wide and God will fill it. (This is for me!)
Proverbs 16:3 - I commit my actions to the Lord and my plans will succeed.
Ephesians 2:10 - For I am God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for me to do.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment