Friday, January 6, 2012

What DO We Believe?

Ephesians 3:20 - Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us...

I was reading Genesis 15:5 where God was telling Abram that his descendants would be greater than the number of stars he saw in the sky. But Abram was an old man and his wife Sarai was no longer able to conceive. But God... There are countless stories of seemingly impossible situations throughout the Bible where people questioned God's promises, His power to act on what He said He would do. Sometimes they believed immediately, sometimes they went ahead of God because He didn't act quickly enough for them.

It is so important to realize that when God speaks and gives us a personal promise, He will fulfill it...in His time. It doesn't even have to be personal. There are so many promises in the Bible for each of us if we call ourselves children of God. But we need to understand it’s in His time, not ours. But I also think we can miss the actual timing if we are not paying attention. If He says now is the time, it's time!

We have not because we ask not (James 4:2). How much faith do we put into that statement? Just what do we believe God can do for us or anyone else?

This is a question born out of a statement made last night at prayer. It's time for all of us to believe that there truly is NOTHING, absolutely nothing, God can't do for those who call Him their God if we seek His face and believe that what we ask, according to His will, He will do (1John 5:14).

We had started out in our own separate times of prayer before coming together to pray together. One of the women at prayer read something the Lord had spoken to her. The gist of it was, biblically, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13) and faith without works is dead (James 2:26).

When she read what she had heard in her spirit, I had to share how it touched me because it confirmed what I had heard in my own spirit that night.

There is nothing you can't do when you abide in Me and heed My voice. Nothing. Do you understand that? Nothing! Do not fear. When you hear Me, without fear act on My words. You may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. You have not because you ask not. You see not because you do not. I need you to act out. You sit quietly behind the scenes. Take that leap or even a step of faith. It's time. It's time. It's your time to bloom. Do not fear. I am with you. Do not fear rejection. It is not against you even if it appears so. It is Me and My power, My strength, My love, My healing that they reject because it is an unknown territory. It is familiar to you, though. Act out. Speak. Fear not. I am with you.

When I shared, others admitted they held back at times as well. What is this all about!? Where's our faith that God can do what He says He can? We hold back because we are fearful of what others will think. It's not about us. It's all about Him. If we hold back it is our own type of rejection of the Almighty God, the One who holds our lives in His hand, the One who has promised us His power.

We call ourselves children of God yet we still hold back sometimes. God came to me at a dark time in my life. He opened my eyes that I might see His glorious light. I will be forever grateful for that time. It wasn't the first time He'd tried to reach me, though. I just wasn't ready. We need to look for and be willing to respond to opportunities to be that same light in a dark world, even if we don't reach them. We still need to show others there is a hope, that there really is a Light named Jesus at the end of the tunnel of life.

As I drove home or when I lie in bed, I don't remember which, thoughts of how I could do this starting today raced through my head. I was stopped dead in my tracks! I was racing ahead to do something that may not be God's will. I need to wait until He says, "Now!" I need to just be open to hearing and available to do at His time because then the results are perfect, to start out the day asking, Lord, what would you have me do today?

When we receive Christ into our lives and are filled with His Holy Spirit, we have everything we need. We have His strength, His wisdom, His power, even His healing touch if we truly believe, if we truly allow Him to work in our lives. We just don't know how much we have. To find out we must act. It's the good works He has called us to do.

I cannot be satisfied where I am. I must move on. I must believe with all my heart that God really has given me everything I could ever need and not be fearful of acting on what I believe He has asked me to do or say. If His Spirit exists within me (and I know it does), He will be behind me. Will I fail sometimes? Yes, because I have attempted in my own strength. Will I find opposition or rejection? Yes. Do I stop? No. I must press on like the Apostle Paul was determined to do. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14). All that should matter is the final outcome in life of a job well done to glorify God.

Jesus sits before the Father. He hears our prayers. He instructs. He directs. We can do all things, as He tells us in the scripture below. We must believe this. Our world is filled with even skeptical Christians. If Jesus promised this to us, we can believe it! There is a general consensus that God is developing us now because it’s time to start acting on what we believe. We must be about our Father’s business (Luke 4:29). All things are possible for those in Christ Jesus.

John 14:12 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment