Friday, January 20, 2012

Awakening of a New Day

Job 12:10, Deuteronomy 10:14 - In whose hand is the life of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind? Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the Lord your God, also the earth with all that is in it. 

I sat this morning in the darkened Arizona living room. I was talking to the Lord when I noticed the darkness outside begin to awaken. Pink clouds slowly wafting over the mountains, turning ever more brilliant as the sun rose higher. The southeastern sky started by glowing orange and yellow and melting into the blue sky. The light cast mellow yellow colors on the houses and vegetation. 

I thanked God for yet another day, the new day He was creating right before my eyes. My heart swelled with excitement. Here I was watching God create. Here I was in His presence watching Him at work. And my heart felt like it would burst. I'd never thought of Him creating right there before me. His quiet voice speaking, as it were, in what I was seeing. 

I often reflect on His nature, His character seen in nature. I guess that's because I'm a visual person. I love colors and textures. It's probably why I like taking pictures. But nothing quite captures the true essence than seeing it before your eyes. 

I wondered if this was how a heart in love with God would feel. I sometimes wonder how much I really love Him. Is there any way we can fully know? What's enough? Is my love as strong as someone else's? I know it has to be different for each person. If all I have to go on is that feeling....and yet we're told it's not about our feelings. 

But, Lord, I'm a feeling kind of person. You created me this way. You created everyone with emotions. My emotions are showing right now! My heart is aching in a very good way. Isn't that how loves feels? A feeling of bursting forth in...in what? Song? Laughter? Words? Or even not so quiet internal reflection and awe? 

And I gloried at the thought of being able to see His hand at work right before my eyes. We catch glimpses of Him, those whose eyes are stayed on Him, those whose minds are always looking for Him in all areas of our daily lives. When we are able to praise God for His creation and worship Him for it, aren't we proclaiming our love for Him? When our hearts feel as though they will burst at the beauty of it all, aren't we are loving Him for what His great hands have done? Praise the Lord!

Where is God today in your life? Is He in the crisp bitter cold the Midwest is experiencing today? Is He reminding you that He has created even that, as much as we would prefer sunny summer days? I can't go anywhere without seeing Him at work. Maybe that's why I like to travel, to see ALL He has created, the difference from one part of the world to the next. 

What do you see when you look at a sunrise or sunset? When steam from off cold Lake Michigan looks like snow capped mountains...in Wisconsin? When the Arizona mountain tops turn orange in the early morning sun or bronze in the late afternoon as the sun sets? When the clouds paint pictures of angels or fuzzy fish with mouths wide open to catch the prey in front of them? When the Caribbean ocean is a rich, deep blue? 

It doesn't even need to be in faraway places but right outside your back door. Watch the birds happily hopping around for seed or swooping down on a feeder. Watch and listen to the next thunderstorm. Watch a flower day by day growing from a small seed to a full bloom. Study it's growth. How amazing are even these daily occurrences. Look at the snowflakes or frost on your windows. Take a closer look. See the fingerprints of our Creator on them?

Our Creator is amazing. The world and His nature...yes, it's His...both physically and spiritually...never two days exactly the same. An infinite number of days, an infinite number of scenes. It may seem the same day after day but each day is unique. Take a closer look. Remove yourself for a moment from the daily activities and notice Him. 

Lord, help us to see Your hand at work in our lives each day. Let us not grow bored in seeing this magnificent hand doing what it does best. This IS the day You have MADE. I WILL rejoice and be glad in it. My day and my days are in Your hand. Let this day be a confirmation for all of a God at work. 

Look for Him while He may still be seen. Look for His hand at work outside the physical windows where you sit right now and also the windows of your soul. He calls you to see Him, to recognize Him, to know Him. He will amaze you.

Genesis 1 - God said...God created...and it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment