Monday, June 6, 2011

Newness

Romans 6:4 - Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 

I had the privilege of working at our church Saturday. We are undergoing a bit of remodeling and renovation. We're revitalizing the interior and exterior of the church.  One team was outside gardening. Did I say some? OMG, the lifeless looking gardens have come alive because of the work and enthusiasm of several people. It's not just 'cause it's spring either. I sense in my spirit it's the precursor to something else. There was also another team painting a back hallway. What a delight. What a satisfying feeling at day's end. Can't wait for the next project.

In prayer yesterday morning at church it was as if I sensed that as we are changing the look of both the inside and outside of the physical church, we are changing the atmosphere within! Not that the physical changes will do this, but spiritually, we may see a new thing. I sensed the Lord was letting me know that this was His sanctuary, His house and He was pleased with what is happening.

A newness has begun at Victory International. We have gone from two to one service and what joy we felt as we entered the prayer room early that morning prior to the day's activities. I believe it followed us into the sanctuary. It was delightful. 

We, too, can live in that same joy, despite what seem like setbacks, and receive a newness within ourselves when we have taken the step to receive Christ into our lives. An outward and inward transformation takes place. Our hearts are changed and our outward appearance can have that peaceful, content look. 

In fact, when we have received this wonderful gift God has given us we can call ourselves the Temple of God, where God dwells.  2Corinthians 6:16 - For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people."  

The Holy Spirit of God does this transforming work. It has nothing to do with our ability to change. It just comes with the "receiving Christ" territory. It's a lifelong process...we will never fully arrive until Jesus comes back. Our spiritual house, however, is revitalized. The dark, dinginess of our old selves makes way for brightness and newness. Here are a few examples of the promises of change that take place:

Psalm 40:3 - He has put a new song in my mouth--praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the LORD.
Ezekiel 36:26 - I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
Revelation 2:17 - '"...To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it."' 
Isaiah 43:19 - Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. 

A new thing. I love it! A newness in Christ. I love it! At the end of our lives and when Jesus returns and Heaven is at last revealed to us as our final home, there are more promises:

Isaiah 65:17 - "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former shall not be remembered or come to mind."  
2Peter3:13 - Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. 
Revelation 21:5 - Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." 

Yes, even today He makes things new if we give Him a chance. I know many people would not change their lives as they have been. On the other hand there are many who, if they had the chance, would change a lot. I'm both...I see my previous faults, sins, insecurities and realize I was like that because I didn't know any better. I followed the crowd. I follow a different crowd now and am thankful that those days of mine have been forgive of me. I AM a new creation in Christ. Anyone can be if they so desire. Look at all these promises as the proverbial carrot being dangled before you...it's your choice to make.

2Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

No comments:

Post a Comment