Friday, September 17, 2010

Yesterday

Isaiah 41:13 - For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, saying to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

After thinking about and writing yesterday's blog, I realized how this so applies to me. It applies to a lot of people I know, no matter where they are in their walk with the Lord. We all fall into this occasionally. It sort of shows unbelief...where's that mustard seed of faith? Oh, there are some things I do not fear and times I come across with confidence, but then I fail in other areas. Hmmmm, I don't get it.

Fear not, God tells us. I know the plans I have for you, He assures us. Obey Me, He admonishes. But mainly He tells us to fear not. There are about 172 variations of this phrase in the Bible. Maybe more...depending on which version you read! 

If we are told that many times to fear not, we ought to listen. That's a command to those who know the Lord. That's a command we should obey. And as I was writing yesterday's blog my spirit was pricked a couple times at least. It was as if Jesus was telling me personally, "You fear way too much those things you cannot control." This is sin....if we trust in God.
I got to thinking about all the little day to day things that I fuss over. It's not that I actually fear them but I fuss over them. I'm uncomfortable, I'm concerned, I'm worried. I think I need to wear a phylactery on my forehead and on my forearm that says no more than: Do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own (Matthew 6:34).
What do I have to fear? Here's a partial list: whether I love enough, whether I am totally sold out for Jesus, whether I'm in His will, whether I'm too impatient, the spiritual condition of some family members, the spiritual condition of friends, whether people like me, whether I'm offensive, whether I will have the right words at the right time, whether I will speak those words, whether I'm a good wife, what would happen if I outlive my husband, whether I'm too self-centered, whether I'm proud or vain. I could go on... Most of these thoughts are not constant...they flit in and out of my head. I'm not obsessed with them but when the thought pops in, I think about it...instead of just thinking or saying out loud, "Lord, I will fear not." Take that thought to God and talk about it, in prayer, asking for guidance.

If we are totally immersed in God, totally sold out for Him, there is no need to fear...or be anxious. I'm really putting myself out on a limb here and admitting that which is probably my biggest weakness. Oh, I know I love the Lord. I believe with all my heart that, like Carla from yesterday's blog, I could handle a difficult situation...once it was presented to me. And maybe that's the most important thought to cling to...take situations as they happen and just work them out. Fear not. Know that the Holy Spirit will give you what you need when you need it...if you are filled with Him.

I took a little break from writing this and checked an email a friend sent to me yesterday and it seemed to be something I needed to read, absorb and share:

   Dear Lord, I thank you for this day. I thank You for my being able to see and hear this morning.. I'm blessed     because You are a forgiving God and an understanding God. You have done so much for me and You keep on blessing me. Forgive me this day for everything I have done, said or thought that was not pleasing to you. I ask now for Your forgiveness. 

   Please keep me safe from all danger and harm. Help me to start this day with a new attitude and plenty of gratitude. Let me make the best of each day to clear my mind so that I can hear from You.

   Let me not whine and whimper over things I have no control over. Let me continue to see sin through God's eyes and acknowledge it as evil. And when I sin, let me repent, and confess with my mouth my wrongdoing, and receive the forgiveness of God. 

   And when this world closes in on me, let me remember Jesus' example -- to slip away and find a quiet place to pray. It's the best response when I'm pushed beyond my limits. I know that when I can't pray, You listen to my heart. Continue to use me to do Your will. 

   Continue to bless me that I may be a blessing to others... Keep me strong that I may help the weak.. Keep me uplifted that I may have words of encouragement for others. I pray for those who are lost and can't find their way. I pray for those who are misjudged and misunderstood. I pray for those who don't know You intimately. I pray for those who will delete this without sharing it with others. I pray for those who don't believe.. But I thank you that I believe. 

   I believe that God changes people and God changes things. I pray for every family member and everyone in their household. I pray for peace, love and joy in their homes that they are out of debt and all their needs are met. 

   I pray that every eye that reads this knows there is no problem, circumstance, or situation greater than God. Every battle is in Your hands for You to fight. I pray that these words be received into the hearts of every eye that sees them and every mouth that confesses them willingly..

This is my prayer.
In Jesus' Name, Amen..

This is a great prayer for those times when the things of the world get a little too busy, a little too frustrating, even a little fearful. I just needed to add it today. It's a reminder to ask for His forgiveness the moment I have those unnecessary thoughts and fears, that God Himself is greater than any problem. We are told, after all: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7). Well, duh!

Yes, those who know and trust daily in Jesus Christ, need not fear anything. Perhaps I just needed to think on that today...and yesterday. We need to step out of our fears, in faith in Jesus, and when we take that first step we will be walking with Him by our side. Without that faith, without taking that step, His feet will not be there for us and we walk on our own.

Although this scripture is a word from David to his son Solomon regarding Solomon's task of building a temple, it applies to us too. If we are in His will, He will be there to be sure we finish what He has asked us to set out to do. Everything we do is to be done for Him, through His perfect power.

1Chronicles 28:20 - And David said to his son Solomon, "Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the LORD God--my God--will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD."

No comments:

Post a Comment