Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Struggles and Rejoicing


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)


I seem to be struggling today.  The words struggle and rejoice were so prominent.  I've been trying to write all morning about persevering with joy.  And then this wall shot right up in front of me.  I wasn't been able to put two words together, other than struggle and rejoice. No other inspiration.  No other words added to those two words made sense.  What seemed like a thousand voices clouded my thoughts and perceptions and I couldn't hear the one voice I wanted to hear.

Then that still small voice spoke...."You're trying on your own. You have not let My Holy Spirit lead you."  How I thank the Lord for that word.  It is a right and true word, certainly something in which to rejoice!

So I'm thinking that this is a test for me right now.  Am I rejoicing?  Am I doing what I say we should do?  What's the the phrase:  do as I say, not as I do?  Not biblical, but certainly appropriate for me this morning.  And isn't it funny that I should be struggling about struggling and rejoicing!  Hmmmmm.  I know there's something to that somewhere.

Well, it shows I'm not perfect.  It shows my need for Someone greater than I.  And I am praising God that I have a struggle.  Like Israel in yesterday's blog, they wandered around in the desert until they got things right.  Perhaps with this revelation and speaking it forth as I am, I am letting go of this current struggle.  I have tried under my own power and this is God's way of showing me just that.  I'm praising Him that I am able to recognize this and not push the thought aside thinking it's not for me. Yes, when we struggle, it is because our own strength gets in the way.  When we let that struggle go and give it to the Lord it becomes His struggle and we get the peace that passes all understanding and He gets the glory.  How I praise You, God.   
Lord, You are holy, and you are enthroned in the praises of your people.  (Psalm  22:3)

Even as I joyfully type this I'm feeling the weight falling off my shoulders.  He inhabits our praises!  Yippee!  I'm in a struggle, Lord.  But I'm going to rejoice in that. You take over for me.  I'll give it to you.  You can handle it.  You are not the author of confusion and I will not listen to any other voice but yours.

I'm thankful that struggles usually mean, spiritually, that there is a victory in sight. Those annoying voices I spoke about was no more than the enemy who does not want us to succeed.  He tried, and succeeded for awhile, to...muddle my mind...trash my thinking...entangle my enlightenment...thrash at my thoughts.  But, I have the mind of Christ and with that mind I can stand firm knowing that God is for me, not against me. God will make me the head and not the tail and I will be above only and not beneath. (Deuteronomy 28:13)  He will never leave me nor forsake me.  His plans for me are good.  He works righteousness into us by revealing our faults and allowing us to cast them aside.

Just remembering those promises, those words that are true and just, is a comfort.  
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.  (Hebrews 4:12)

Most of my struggles seem to be internal, that battlefield of the mind that Joyce Meyer talks about.  I seem to be able to deal pretty well with the day to day occurrences, with a wrinkle here and there.  Today I experienced another wrinkle in my day but, praise God, He's helped me iron it out.  Becoming aware of it this time has made a difference. Perhaps next time I won't wait so long to realize that God's ways are better than mine. I will let the joy of the Lord be my strength. I will make a joyful noise unto the Lord.  I will not let the distracting thoughts cloud my thinking.  I will go out in peace.


Isaiah 55:8-9, 12 - "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts....you shall go out with joy, and be led out with peace; the mountains and the hills shall break forth into singing before you, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. 


Father God, I thank You for straightening me out once again.  Thank You that You have created me to be Your child and that I need to be reminded occasionally that there is a hierarchy here!  I thank You for the leading of Your Holy Spirit.  I see where I have struggled and it's of my own doing. Thank You that You want to lead and guide me, that Your ways are better than mine.  So I WILL praise You today, Lord.  I will sing a new song and make a joyful noise, especially since I don't have a very good voice!  I thank You for the on and off struggles which are there for my own good to strengthen and grow me.  Oh, how I want to grow.  Continue to humble me to move me out of the way so You can take the lead.  Thank You that You know the way we should go and when we follow after You, You will take me down the road specifically for me. That is Your desire.   In Your name I pray, Jesus.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment