Monday, March 23, 2009

Psalm 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart 
be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer. 

The Lord every so often speaks to me about my thoughts.  I guess I have always struggled with them.  I know we are always thinking.  I sometimes wonder, though, if we're even aware of some of the thoughts while we're thinking them?  You can't eliminate thinking; it's a part of our life.  Perhaps we all need to take a look at just what our thoughts consist of.  

Today we can fall into dismay at all that's happening in our country, even the world, if we allow ourselves.  Our thoughts can so easily shift to worry and anxiety.  It may be time to concentrate on those things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report (Philippians 4:8).  Our thoughts should be of what lies beyond the trials of life.  Wouldn't it be better for us to have delightful thoughts of the Lord in the midst of the everyday rumblings, annoyances and in the dailiness of life?

Our minds are battlefields.  The enemy wants to control them.  Those pure and wonderful thoughts can put a good wedge between us and this enemy if we would hold on to those words of delight instead of displeasure and/or criticism.  We are told that what we speak originates in our heart.  I would much rather have a good word for someone than an unkind one.  I'm certainly not saying I haven't had an unkind word...that's probably why God nudges me every   Imagine how joyful one would be if thoughts were only of good things.  Wow!  We might have less frown lines!  Proverbs 16:24 says pleasant words are health to the bones.  Why is this so hard to understand?  There might even be less arthritis!

We need to keep the mind of Christ, which we have been given as believers.  What thoughts would He have?  We are to be of one mind, compassionate, loving and courteous (1Peter 3:8).  I don't score high in each of these areas, but I praise God that He's not finished with me.  I would desire the meditation of my heart and the words of my mouth be acceptable and upright.  What a challenge this is as imperfect, fleshly beings.  If we remain focused on Him--sit at His feet and learn--we will begin to see through His eyes and know, even think, His thoughts.

Philippians 3:12 - Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already 
been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which 
Christ Jesus took hold of me...

Lord, strengthen us each day.  Enable us to keep our eyes on You that our thoughts would remain pure.  Help us to let go of the negative and think in the positive.  If our minds are stayed on You, imagine the possibilities!  Imagine the healing that would take place not only in ourselves but in those who surround us each day...spiritually and emotionally, maybe even physically.  Let us be reminded that we do have Your mind. Thank you, Lord, for loving us in the midst of our fleshliness.  Draw our thoughts nearer to You each day.  

Sitting at Your feet, I pray in Your name, Jesus.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot think of a better place to be any day, Laurie, than at His feet, listening to Him! So excited for you as you begin blogging...oh, we learn so much about ouselves when we begin writing out our thoughts! Thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete