Tuesday, October 16, 2018

You Gotta Know

1John 1:2-3 - ...—the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us—that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

I’m still awed by a message preached by our pastor’s son. I’ve seen him mature in the six years or so since joining my little church. He was not as confident when he first spoke as he is now. He practices what he preaches. He lives out his faith. I am not saying this to promote this young man, as I'll explain later.

Eight to ten years ago he stepped into the sanctuary of my old church one Thursday night during a little prayer group. He apologized for interrupting and we asked what he was there for, could we pray for him. He’d come to pray about a message he was going to be giving to high school boys using our church gym for basketball. So we prayed.

Then he prayed! Something very powerful came over me. His prayer touched others as well. We found out where he went to church. I did an internet search when I got home but realized the church was “too far away” for me. (I guess I was starting to feel somewhat unsatisfied where I was attending church...) 

For three years he came to mind occasionally and the same powerful feeling came over me. I visited one Sunday while staying the weekend with a friend who lived in the area of the church. It didn’t impact either of us like I thought it might so I tried to push it all aside. 

My feelings for my church were growing more distant. I wasn’t getting enough anymore. Something just wasn't right. I came home from a Bible study with a heaviness I couldn’t shake. I entered the house and the words, “It’s time for you to leave and here’s where I want you to go” entered my spirit, as if I'd heard an audible voice. I knew instantly what they meant with just the little information I received! It was time to leave my church and go to this little church that was “so far away!” 

And I did. And it’s where I am right now. And we’ve moved even farther away!! 

Again, I'm not promoting this young man. God orchestrated my need for change, any surrounding people and circumstances, the change and any growth that may have occurred from that change. He puts the pieces of puzzles together, sometimes in amazing ways. I have gotten away from the church system to a church family. Is it perfect? No. No church is, no man is. But God is and if He chooses to use a young man or a small church for His glory, that’s where I want to be. We have many in our church and many who come to preach in our church who also do so by the power of God. And the Holy Spirit shows up.

This young man said these words. They aren’t anything new to me. They aren’t new to him. But they might be new to someone else. 
You can know that you know [God], but you gotta know that you know Him. And you know what? You can know Him again...and again, and again, and again! - Aaron Fischer

I’ve said this many times. It’s not a religion this walk with the Lord. It’s not a denomination. It’s not a church. It’s not just saying I know who He is but rather I know Him. It is a relationship with the God of all heaven. Our Creator. Our Redeemer. No one else should be revered. No other name under heaven can save (Acts 4:12). Only Jesus. Not knowledge from the head or a book or a church’s or pastor’s teaching, but through the power of the Holy Spirit’s work in us. We have to meet Jesus. 

1John 1:6-7 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment