Sunday, October 14, 2018

Nothing I Have Done

Ephesians 2:8-10 - For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that NOT of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

I love when this happens!! I’d been feeling a bit down and a bit hard on myself for some reason. In our Sunday school study in the Book of Job the comment came up that the devil’s job is to steal, kill and destroy. One of the things he definitely doesn’t want for us to cling to is our faith in his greatest adversary, Jesus Christ. 

In 1999 I put my faith in Jesus. Before that I gave no thought to Him, did not attend church and later found out any church upbringing or doctrine I had did not secure my salvation. I had to acknowledge a need for Jesus Christ alone in my life and then, as He has shown me repeatedly, to follow Him, no man made religion (or government or man of any kind) but develop a relationship with Him. 

So I admit I have my doubts occasionally. I have feelings of inadequacy and times when He seems so silent. This may some day be considered “Christian-ese” but it pretty much sums up this point...when a class of students is being tested, the teacher remains silent. He wants me to trust during the times of silence. It builds one’s faith. Ouch. And again I have to ask forgiveness for not trusting! And call only on the name of Jesus when the enemy tries to butt in to steal my faith.

But there’s more! During worship the words to a song we sang probably prompted this reminder: Nothing I have done of myself but what He has done in me. A truth right out of scripture that impressed heavily upon me at that moment. So strongly I HAD to write it down out of concern I’d forget! Again, a very strong need to not forget those words. 

Then came the sermon! Our pastor’s son preached which was a pleasant surprise. His message was the gist of those words God impressed so strongly upon me above! Only God can do such incredible things. And...it was the power of God in the words of the preacher/evangelist this morning, not his own words. 

I needed to hear again that my salvation, and everyone’s, is a product of the power of God alone, nothing I have done. He must increase, but I must decrease. He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all. (John 3:30-31)

Years ago a word was spoken that pierced my heart, not my head, that turned me to God and made me His child. Before that I was an enemy of God! It was not a church or denomination but the very real power of God. This concept is difficult to understand unless one has been changed by that very power of God alone. 

I praise my God for the almost 20 years of salvation! I have proven that it is not a passing fancy or a fad, but something I have clung to even though there were times of doubt. I’m probably no different in that respect. I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good. I cannot turn my back on that which is true and just and of good report. I know the consequences. For this I can say I love the Lord with heart, soul and spirit. 


2Timothy 1:8-9 - Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord...who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began...

No comments:

Post a Comment