Thursday, September 27, 2018

He Told Me

John 4:39 - And many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, “He told me all that I ever did.”

The story of the Samaritan woman is well-known. Jesus and His disciples were on their way to Galilee and had to go through Samaria. Jews at that time were not to associate with Samaritans. But God... Jesus rested at a well while the disciples went for food. It was noon and the Samaritan woman came to the well for water (she was an outcast in the community because of her lifestyle and went at an hour no other would go.) 

She met Jesus. He began to talk with her. He asked her for water. She questioned why He would speak with her when He was a Jew. Now you can’t tell me Jesus didn’t know in advance this meeting would take place! I believe it was His purpose to be at that well, that He would be alone with her, that He knew she would show up so He could reveal Himself to this sinful woman. 

He told her He had a gift from God, living water, not anything like the water she had come to collect. She was curious and asked if she might have some. Then He told her exactly what her lifestyle was without condemnation. She was amazed that He knew such things. He revealed to her that He was the Messiah the Jews were waiting for, the One who would save. 

She ran back to tell others in the town. Imagine, an outcast so excited about who she had met she couldn’t contain herself as and here she was telling them some seemingly outlandish thing. The words she said were “He told me all that I ever did.” 

Don’t doubt that Jesus doesn’t know everything you ever did either! He knew all I ever did but He pursued me. He met me at just the right time and revealed Himself. He may not have told me then and there all I had ever done, but in time I realized through His Word that many things I considered just what everyone else does so it couldn’t be that wrong, were indeed wrong. 

This is where some get hung up. They have created their own beliefs of what God would be okay with; or they just can’t believe He would be so stern as to not allow certain lifestyles or words spoken or types of entertainment or acts/attitudes. He knows and He reveals the truth. It is up to us to believe Him, to choose what’s right over what’s wrong. 

Praise God, like the Samaritan woman, He doesn’t walk past us in our sinful natures but gives us a chance to choose to believe, like she and many other Samaritans did.  And many more believed because of His word. (John 4:41) But it’s our choice. You don’t need to believe me. I pray that He will reveal Himself just to you, that He would tell you all that you ever did, so you can believe. 


John 4:42 - Then they said to the woman, “Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment