Thursday, January 29, 2015

Who is the Lord?

Exodus 5:2 - And Pharaoh said, “Who is the LORD, that I should obey His voice to let Israel go? I do not know the LORD, nor will I let Israel go.” 

Who is the Lord is the question we all ask in some way before we truly know Him.

Moses was in the process of working out the freedom of the people of Israel who were in captivity in Egypt. But he was dealing with an unbeliever in their God. Later Pharaoh would cave after he saw the many plagues and torments brought about by this God of Israel he did not know.

There was a time when I asked, Why do I need to go to church? I know who Jesus is. I know He died for my sins. I heard this in children's Sunday school. Isn't that all I need? If God is good and I'm basically a good person--certainly not the best, but better than others--then I believe I will go to heaven.

These are pretty much standard suppositions...We aren't all that bad. And generally that statement is not always followed by are we? But God has a higher standard than that. Since the incident in the Garden of Eden mankind has been separated from God. We lost our relationship with Him because there was a purity in that relationship between Adam, Eve and God. There was holiness because of obedience. God never changes. He is still holy. It is we who have since  changed and are born with sinful, unholy natures. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear. (‭Isaiah‬ ‭59‬:‭2‬) And we must be separated from God...until...

Pharaoh did not know the God Moses and Israel worshipped. He could not understand the plea to let Israel go to worship Him. I couldn't understand it either. Why do I need to follow this God? Why should I listen to Him? Why should I obey Him? Why do I need to?

I believed that until...the good news. God has given us an opportunity to be reconciled to Him, that the veil of separation would be torn down. It's a word called the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He sent His Son Jesus. He stands between sinful man and a holy God. He is the Mediator and the Way. Only through Him do we get to heaven. Only through our heartfelt belief, trust and faith in Him. And only that way. It is Jesus' blood that was shed on the cross that is spiritually poured over us to cleanse us of all unrighteousness.

So, I go to church. I go to be in His presence, to worship Him and to hear Him speak through a pastor who loves Him. I now know that I know who Jesus is. I realize now the importance of His death for my sins. No, I am not basically a good person. No one is and if they claim otherwise they lie. In God's eyes we are all on the same level playing field...But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised by the people. (‭Psalms‬ ‭22‬:‭6‬)  O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? (‭Romans‬ ‭7‬:‭24‬)

Ah, but back to the good news...Jesus came that we would no longer be a reproach to God the Father. He will deliver us from this body of spiritual death. He will allow us to be able to say, It IS the Lord I will obey and be able to hear now His voice. I can know the Lord and be in right relationship with Him. Hallelujah!

Who is the Lord to you? Is He your Lord? Do you know Him? Receive Christ and see what He will do!

Exodus 6:6 - "Therefore say to the children of Israel: 'I am the LORD; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment