Sunday, September 14, 2014

If He Had Not Come

John 15:22-27

But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates Me hates My Father also.

If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written, "They hated Me without a cause."

But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning.


I am reminded of the scripture In Romans: For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse...(Romans 1:20) 

Last blog I said we are all sinners in need of a Savior. Here Jesus is telling us that had He not come at all people would not know of their sin. He showed them their sin. He told people what they needed to do (be born of the Spirit, receive Him). He showed what He was capable of doing that no man could do. Some heard and saw and listened. Some, like the Pharisees standing only on what the law said, and others in love with their sin, did not. What He said and did so offended them they wanted Him crucified. They gave a murderer, Barabbas, his freedom over a Man totally innocent of any wrongdoing.

They rejected Him; they rejected God. They hated Him. I had to look up hate to see what the meaning was in this verse. Strong's Concordance: to pursue with hatred, detest. Root definitions: to express indignation in speech, denounce, curse; to cause one to become incensed, to provoke to anger. I did some of these. I didn't think I hated Him, but according to God, we do if we curse Him, use His name in vain (as in anger, disgust or frustration), we hate Him. His name is to be revered.

What a gift we receive when we receive Him as our Savior. Imagine Him forgiving us when we have ignored or even hated Him. He gives us many good gifts and promises, to be sure, but the gifts of His forgiveness and Holy Spirit are so necessary in our walk with Him. The Holy Spirit, as Jesus said, shows us what truth is. We can think we know truth, but it is not often God's truth. We see His truth. We see our sin. We see who offered His life to forgive us of those sins.

If He had not come it is true we would not recognize sin as sin. He had to come for this reason or we would be separated from God forever. Again, He needed to come to show us our sin. If we still do not recognize it, according to His Word, we will continue to be separated from God. It's Jesus for eternal life with God. It's Jesus for forgiveness of sin. It's Jesus for the gift of His Holy Spirit of truth.

He's here for the asking. He wants to open spiritually dead eyes. He wants to call you His child. He wants to spend eternity with you. If you hear Him call, go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Psalm 69:4 - Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head; they are mighty who would destroy me, being my enemies wrongfully; though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment