Tuesday, September 16, 2014

He Will

John 16:12-16

I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take care of what is Mine and declare it to you.

All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take care of Mine and declare it to you. A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me, because I go to the Father.


Jesus continues to encourage His disciples. I'm sure they still did not fully understand all H was saying. As an unbeliever, I didn't understand either. Jesus knew they couldn't bear all He had to say; they weren't ready. We have to be ready and that's what the Holy Spirit does.

Growing up in a particular denomination I had heard of the Holy Spirit. We mentioned Him in a mechanically recited creed every Sunday. But I'll tell you, not until I was born of this Spirit did I have any understanding of the importance of the third part of the Trinity. None. Nada. Zilch.

But the morning I came to Christ I was filled with this Holy Spirit! Sort of like the disciples, I didn't know it, still didn't understand, but I knew something had happened to me on the inside. I felt it. And when I explained what happened weeks later in a women's Bible study, that I felt a power go through me, it was revealed to me. Wow. WOW.

The Holy Spirit has an equally important role in the Trinity, as explained above. He guides one into all truth, He teaches and He glorifies the Father and Son. It's something a friend of mine and I briefly discussed yesterday...we don't know how all this happens, how we are filled, how we learn the truth or even how He's prompting us, or giving us words to speak in any situation, but He does. I'm convinced it takes us only having that faith and coming as little children. To try to figure it out is impossible. It's God's work, after all. Glory to Him for His sending the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is the power in the Trinity. In fact spirit in Greek is dunamis from which the word dynamite comes from. That's power. He guides us to the truth. He convicts us of our sin. He teaches us about God the Father and Jesus. Then He empowers us to go out and continue as the disciples to spread the Gospel. Then we too are able to glorify God...only through the power of the Holy Spirit which indwells us at the time of our conversion.

So the idea that Jesus points out, that all the Father has are His, is also true for the Holy Spirit because They are one. I can see why our pastor said we must have the Holy Spirit. It's imperative as a believer. And it is only received when we come to Christ. If one doesn't know who this Holy Spirit is or what He can do, he is not in Christ. (Romans 8:9) Don't be content to think you know Jesus based on your own understanding. Know Jesus and His gift of salvation through the power of the Holy Spirit and then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. (John 8:32)  There is freedom in Christ...and if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. (John 8:36)

Romans 8:9 - But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 

No comments:

Post a Comment