Thursday, May 29, 2014

Who Are You?

John 8:19-27

Then they said to Him, "Where is Your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither Me nor My Father. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also." 

These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple; and no one laid hands on Him, for His hour had not yet come.

Then Jesus said to them again, "I am going away, and you will seek Me, and will die in your sin. Where I go you cannot come." So the Jews said, "Will He kill Himself, because He says, 'Where I go you cannot come.'?" And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." 

Then they said, "Who are You?" And He said to them, "Just what I have been saying to you from the beginning. I have many things to say and to judge concerning you, but he who sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I heard from Him." 

They did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father. 


Repeatedly Jesus spoke of the Father but an understanding just was not to be. I believe we all hear what we want to hear and if it does not fit into our lifestyle or viewpoint we dismiss it.

I am so thankful that one day God sought me, chose me and allowed my heart and mind to receive the gift of His Son Jesus that I might understand the spiritual things of God. I don't proclaim to know everything, believe me. But I believe that He has opened up my understanding to believe things others may not. And this is not arrogance or thinking more highly of myself. This is something God will reveal to anyone with a desire to know.

Jesus had been stating repeatedly His Father was greater than all, that He did not come from the world but separated Himself from what the world believed. He wanted others to understand this and some did and followed. To those He gave eternal life. But those who argued with Him, who wouldn't listen, wouldn't believe because what they considered truth had flaws, who were unteachable, would die in their sins and would not go where He would go. No matter what they heard they asked Who are You?

We all have a direction to take in life. We choose to believe that what the world has to offer is greater than what God has to offer and, as Jesus has said, choose to die, or we choose Jesus and choose life. But so many times I have written believing is not just head knowledge. It comes deep from within one's heart. It is an experience you know that you know has occurred spiritually. Church doctrine goes out the door as does world view. It's between you and God...and you know that you know.

As much as God so loved the world that He sent His Son to die for us all, He is so holy as to not allow unbelievers into His kingdom. If someone has an authority problem this might be a difficult thing to grasp because He is our highest Authority. We must first humble ourselves and let go of the ideas that we have so long believed.

John 3:36 - He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment