Friday, April 18, 2014

Living Water

John 4:1-10 

Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples), He left Judea and departed again to Galilee. But He needed to go through Samaria.

So He came to a city of Samaria which is called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied from His journey, sat thus by the well. It was about the sixth hour.

A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink." For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. The. The woman of Samaria said to Him, "How is it that You, being a Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?" For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.

Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."

I know this is only part of the story of the Samaritan woman's encounter with Jesus but I felt I could stop here.

Today is Good Friday. Today is also a special day for me. On April 18, 1999 I was born of the Spirit! I received Christ. I had no clue it was to happen and it happened in an instant. No sinner's prayer, no bells and whistles, no wriggling on the floor, no exciting music. Just a few moments where the truth of God's Word penetrated a stubborn, yet broken, heart...one that I believe God had been slowly working on for this particular day and time. A perfect time it was too, considering I'd not stepped into a church for years!

What does that have to do with the Samaritan woman? Jesus had been summoning me for awhile. I can't even tell you how long but in bits and pieces He was making Himself known to me through others. I was growing tired and worn. He met me that morning, like He met the Samaritan woman at the well.

I can look at that church, that service, that morning, as a time when Jesus sat at my well. I didn't know He was there until He chose to use a pastor to speak the truth of His words to me...in an instant. I was the one, however, needing the drink but didn't know it. My life had been dry without Him.

In not so many words He might have said to me, "I have the gift of God. If you ask I will give you a drink of this living water." The actual words were: "There is nothing you can do to change your situation, but I know Someone who can and that is the Lord Jesus Christ." He gives us what we need. He refreshes and strengthens weary souls.

That Sunday our pastor said this also: "God says we're not weak, we're powerless. We can't do anything alone, ever."  And he added, "It's not about a program, a technique, but a person. It's walking humbly with our God, a relationship with Jesus Christ, not a religion or philosophy."

When we receive Christ He becomes our Living Water. He provides from a well that never runs dry. We live in a dry and thirsty land without Him. This is Good Friday. It's also a good day to consider this Living Water. We are celebrating Jesus' resurrection this weekend. He is alive! He still comes to us asking us to receive the living water, the gift He supplies. He is our gift. He desires being received.

Isaiah 12:2-3 - Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’ ” Therefore with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.




No comments:

Post a Comment