Saturday, June 8, 2013

Knowing Him


John 7:28-29 - Then Jesus cried out, as He taught in the temple, saying, “You both know Me, and you know where I am from; and I have not come of Myself, but He who sent Me is true, whom you do not know. But I know Him, for I am from Him, and He sent Me.” 

Just as Jesus was sent by the Father, the Father sends His Spirit that we might know Jesus.

There are many people who know me and not so many anymore who know from where I came. I have one friend in particular who could tell you stories!

If we have at some point in our lives come to that place where we have received Christ, we have come from somewhere else...a different life. Like the Pharisees couldn't see Jesus was the Messiah and the Son of God. He was only Joseph, the carpenter's, son. How could He claim to be God?

So how can I say I came from somewhere else? God creates change in people. There are endless testimonies from people who have known Jesus and were transformed, delivered out of sin, set free from addictions, lives changed. Not that all changed lives were from some huge thing but all from a worldly knowledge to a godly knowledge.

We come from a worldly lifestyle, one of total self, total self-indulgence, total pride, confidence, desire. It is a lifestyle that tends to go against that of Christ. If we know anything at all about Jesus, He preaches a lifestyle so unlike what the world reveres. And much of the world is offended by Him.

These words come from a song called Knowing You:
All I once held dear, built my life upon
ALL THIS WORLD REVERES AND WARS TO OWN
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now compared to this

Compared to what? Knowing Jesus. This world views the here and now as the most important thing. Self and desires. But how things change when Jesus steps into our lives and God begins to mold and shape us, like the Master Potter He is. Little by little we see things differently and recognize the fact that we ARE only in this world for a time and what happens after we die is what we should be most concerned with because that's where our eternity will be from that day on. NO, we will NOT be reincarnated as some would believe. Been there, believed that! Resurrected, yes, as was Christ, some day.

Christ came that we might know Him, His power, wisdom, righteousness...that we might be conformed into His image, yet not be Him. We can never be God, only like Him.

We may not be opposed to hearing God's name (even if in vain) or going to church or having prayer in schools because we believe in God and know of Jesus. That may not be offensive.

The offense can come, however, when one claims to KNOW Him differently, intimately. This knowing comes from His Holy Spirit and is very real. THIS can be offensive, that someone might have a special knowledge of God that another might not have (or even want).

Some sort of commitment and personal change must take place, a removing of self from what the general society believes is okay, or what a church or denomination has told us, and may even truly believe.

Now before you turn away from this read on.

Jesus said He did not come of Himself. I say the same. I did not want to know God any differently than the rest. But sometimes we are so powerfully confronted by this God we cannot turn tail and run! If our hearts are allowed to soften and allowed to hear His voice, we will KNOW Him as He comes to us.

He comes, as Jesus also said, in truth. His truth, His power were put before me one day and I could not run. It was exactly what I needed. A minute before that I didn't know I needed Him. But in an instant (in the twinkling of an eye, as it were) I was changed, through the power of God. I came to a realization...truth was revealed...that apart from Him I could do nothing. I could not change anything in my own strength...only in His. Can anyone fault me for choosing that? He says His yoke is easy and burden light. I didn't see any of this coming...and it might be the same for anyone else...even you if you have not encountered Jesus.

Jesus goes on to say that although "you" don't know God the Father, He does because He was sent by the Father. I say the same to those who do not have intimate knowledge of the Lord. He knows you. And if you have not received Him, you do not know God. Jesus was sent FOR you. He knows what you have need of. He knew what I needed and He was there; I now know Him. You can too.

I am, again, saying that it was God who came to me and opened my eyes. I am not claiming myself to have understood Him and chose to receive Him on my own. His Spirit had a very large hand in this. It's the way it happens. He shows us. He reveals. Some don't like what they see, it's offensive, and they will never believe there is a God. Or they will believe in God the way they want to, not believing the truth as He explains it: “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3)

God sent His Spirit to me to introduce me to the Living God, to Jesus, that I might receive Him for that eternal life. I had little to do with it, other than having a discontentment I didn't know what to do about...and something from which He wished to lighten my burden.

Knowing Jesus is not a very hard thing to do if the desire is strong. He knows your heart. He is able to capture it if it is soft enough and open to receive. He WILL show you your sins. He will forgive you too. He will turn what was wrong into what should be right...not all at once and never, ever totally.

He beckons daily. His work is never finished. He neither slumbers nor sleeps. He is ever watchful on both the good and evil. Let me pose this question to you from Oswald Chambers: Can you recall (a) time when the light of God in the face of Jesus Christ was clearer...than anything else has ever been, when (you) saw perfectly clearly and understood exactly what the Lord wanted? Did you follow that light? Or did you choose not to? His light so shines today for all to see and grasp. Reach out and receive. You will see that it is not totally of yourself. The light will come from God as He comes beside you to guide you into His truth and righteousness. In time you too will know Him.

John 8:28-29 - Then Jesus said to them, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things. And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment