What a mouthful of scripture, but so rich in its content. A scripture came to mind as I sat outside to spend some time with the Lord. Right now I can't recall which it was but it took me into the Book of Ephesians. I read chapters 1-4.
The Apostle Paul was talking to the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus. There was a note in my margin which said that saints meant anyone who believes Jesus Christ is Lord. Paul's history was he had once been Saul of Tarsus, a persecutor of Christians, whose name brought
terror...and now he was so totally on fire, so sold out to Jesus, but he feared not for his life and often preached from prison for his preaching Christ.
I absorbed the words that followed. Paul was describing to the Ephesians what happens when one receives Christ. It's what is available to any who choose to bow to the Lord Jesus Christ, who desire relationship with this Man.
- God chose us before the foundation of the world (those who would receive Christ)
- We were predestined for adoption by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will (this is a very great privilege!!)
- We have redemption through His blood, forgiveness of sins according to His grace
- He has made known to us (as true believers) the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure
- We will be gathered together in the last days with all others with the same conviction and beliefs
- We have an inheritance because of this predestination
- He has worked all things according to His will
- We trust in Him because we have heard the truth about salvation
- We have been sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise upon our conversion and this guarantees our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession (in other words, until Jesus returns, our inheritance is secure...as long as we maintain our trust and faith in Him)
- God is rich in mercy and love and it is because of this we have been made alive...no longer dead in our sins, which is the way of the world
- We have been saved by grace through faith in Jesus only, a gift from God
- Works will not save us because we are liable to boast about the good we've done
- Upon salvation we are created in Christ Jesus FOR good works which God has prepared for us
- He alone is our peace
- Jesus alone has taken away the wall of separation between God and us and granting us peace
- We have overcome eternal death when we received Jesus
- This is for all people; once anyone has received Christ we become one body through the power of the Holy Spirit
- Christ is now the chief cornerstone in the new body of Christ, those who have received Him
- We are fellow heirs through Christ, of the same body, partakers of His promise
Paul knew nothing about these things when he was Saul of Tarsus. He fought against Christ and against Christians. But now he relishes in the the mysteries of Christ which have been revealed to him through his miraculous conversion on the road to Damascus. He needed to be blinded before he could see. This is each and every person before they come into true contact with Jesus Himself, when He calls and one receives. When that call is heard and a heart is moved into receiving His call.
What will it take for the world to see? The world, for the most part, is blind. What tragedy will have to take place before God opens eyes to see Him for who He is? What mysteries He will unveil. It's what I've spoken of before...through the power of His Holy Spirit things of God are revealed. Truth is revealed. Truth that opens eyes to what is happening in this world and how the world believes in men, their own strengths, their own (supposed) knowledge. How the world sees right as wrong and good as evil. Truth reveals the rights and wrongs in this world, in government, in religion. What we as a world have allowed to become okay out of the premise of not offending. It's a truth that cannot be explained, only experienced.
Jesus Christ is the only Way, Truth and Life. Only He reveals the truth. He holds the keys to eternal life. He removes the veil that separates us from God the Father. Bear with me in this closing scripture! It's for anyone who desires a relationship with Him.
Ephesians 3:14-19 - For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.