Monday, December 19, 2011

Tebowing

Romans 1:16 - I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes.

So, I've been suggesting in my own way the need, the desire, the truth of knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. And what better time of year than Christmas, where 2000 years ago a baby was born in a stable, with lowing cattle and fuzzy sheep. He lay in a feeding trough on straw. A humble birth, to say the least. And He is to become our soon coming King. From humbleness to royalty. A match literally made in heaven.

So, what I've been proclaiming these years of blogging is this very thing: that Jesus is the only Way, Truth and LIFE. We cannot assume that just by knowing about Him or hearing about Him when we attend (if we do) that we really know Him. It takes much more commitment than that or someday when we think we have it made and are on our way to "a better place," we will be wondering who turned the heat up!

If you're a sports fan and in particular football, there's a lot being said these days about Tim Tebow. Yeah, that guy who wears His Christianity openly, like under his eyes and in his actions. He is proclaiming Christ...and outwardly lives it. Everyone will know where he stands with his relationship with Jesus Christ, even if he is criticized...and maybe told to stop. Tebow is all about honoring God.

I'm sure there are many reactions to Tebow's display of Christ. He believes that football is not the center of life, but God is. As it should be. If Jesus is not the center, we have missed the proverbial mark, which defined in biblical terms is SIN! Too extreme? Not according to God.

Here's a Tebow quote that basically says it all:  I don't know what my future holds, but I know who holds my future, and that, folks, is what it's all about. Our future means nothing without a relationship with Jesus Christ. 

This weekend Tebow (as well as Aaron Rodgers) lost his longstanding winning streak. Does it mean God has let him down? Not at all. It’s the reaction to losing that counts. If Tim Tebow continues to praise God, he’s doing God’s will.

In an article by Pastor James Robison he writes: This is why every one of us needs the perfect example of the One who has captured Tim Tebow’s heart and the One he has chosen to follow: Jesus Christ. He alone can lift us beyond our weaknesses and hold us in the loving, forgiving arms we all need.

I may not yet show this side of me outwardly, but know in my heart it's how I feel. God is not done with me. There is a voice inside wanting to be heard and confronted. My blog for now is my voice. But if confronted, I will speak up. 

There is truth in this relationship over religion thing. Through relationships we get to knowing someone. I can't read about Tim Tebow and say I know him personally. You can't just read about Jesus to say you know Him. You need to receive Him into your life and heart and He will make the Words written about Him come to life. 

Webster's defines religion as belief in and worship of God or gods; a specific system of belief, worship. It’s centered around laws, keeping them as best as possible...working at them. And they are impossible to keep in our own strength. Our focus is to be on Jesus Christ and the works He did. In other words putting my faith in His finished works, not obeying a set of rules. Receive Christ and give your life to Him and He will work through you to transform you.

Mark 8:38 - For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment