Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A New Thing?


Isaiah 43:19 - For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?

This scripture along with a devotional by David Wilkerson entitled God is Doing a New Thing came one after the other the other week. I'm convinced He is doing a new thing. Do we want to be part of it? We certainly should.

I was convicted a bit listening to Beth Moore on James Robison's program early this morning. It stirred me like too much coffee!

I'm not being stretched as I should be...er, I'm not letting God stretch me as I should! I wonder why God doesn't use me more and Beth answered that question by saying we need to get beyond our comfort levels to see the wonderful things God has in store for us...if we just step out in boldness. Oh, I've heard this many times and have probably written about it. Fear not! He is with us. We are nothing apart from Him. Shake off self-reliance and doubt that "I can't do that." Yes we can!! If we really want to.

There are others who know God is wanting to do a new thing as well. We can sense something. We see the signs as God's Word has shown us. In the last days.... We need to be the remnant in these days. We need to allow ourselves to become that remnant and that can't be done in our comfort zones. Come on...we know it. I'm as guilty as the next.

We have been told if we would humble ourselves... But I'm sure there are many who don't give credence to these words of wisdom, even when it comes to our country. Humble...in knowing nothing is impossible with God; knowing I cannot do on my own. Knowing I fail time and time again but need to pick myself up and try again...letting more of myself go and allowing more of the Lord do!

I was up nort'  in Wisconsin about a week ago. How glorious, how refreshing. A beautiful cabin in the northwoods-cabin style. The house was on a narrow, dirt road and I was reminded of the narrow road we are to follow as believers in Christ. It was hard to even see beyond this tree lined road for all the over grown vegetation. Stepping off that path would have been difficult. Twisted ankles, skin or eyes pierced by sticks or twigs, even the remote possibility of getting lost if wandering too far. There is a reason there is a path. Staying on it is the best idea.

But back to doing new things. A "new" thing during that week was no air conditioning. How refreshing is that? Fresh forest and lake air. Ahhhh. Instead of grumbling, I cherished it. And then there was the day we had a severe storm when we were all sitting somewhat quietly in the dark living room after the power went out, candles lit. A refreshingly new thing. Too bad the power didn't stop the iPads, iPhones and Blackberries from working! It was rather comical watching everyone with heads buried in technology with an occasional utterance before everyone was back into their own little "smart world." How distracted from what was happening around us.

I wonder if this is how God feels about how we view Him? Too distracted to notice; too distracted to listen or talk to Him? Too intent on our own ideas of fun that we miss the small but wonderful things of God like the night time sound of loons on the lake. I felt like I was the only one who relished in the sound and whose heart skipped beats.

I have to admit the busyness and/or noise of the weekend made it difficult to enter deeply into His presence. But He reminded me of who He was in the small things, like loons and thunderstorms. And at last a moment when, thunder rolling, rain pouring down and a few moments alone, I got to think on and sense His presence, but only momentary!

A new thing. Some of us know He is doing something in our church after years of disruption...and years of some desiring something fresh. The signs of the times are causing us to look more closely for that relationship with One who controls all that happens around us and Who desires we seek Him and trust Him in our daily lives.

(Just seemingly random thoughts, but confirmed by a few different scriptures written by the Lord Himself and various teachings.)

I know how difficult it is to bring up God when no one else feels the same as me. I saw God in so many things up in Eagle River, Wisconsin, where I felt many missed Him altogether. It saddens me to not be able to talk about Him when I'm enjoying some of the things we did, like golf or boating. But then...isn't that my job?? To do just that and let the words fall on the ears who want to hear? And if no one hears to know that He Himself is most pleased that did? What was that about comfort zones? Guilty, guilty, guilty.

Oh, I did manage to speak some words when the words about a "higher power" were spoken. I could only say, "My higher power has a name and it's God." Couldn't help myself. It's true.

Then there was the article by James Robison who somehow manages to say things with such elegance and tells it like it is. If I would say the same things I'd probably be considered critical. He said a few things came to mind in prayer one day: 

THE MOST HATED PERSON WHO EVER LIVED – JESUS.
THE MOST LOVED PERSON WHO EVER LIVED – JESUS.

Then God spoke to my [James'] heart and said, “Get ready, because the closer you follow Me and make an impact on the culture, the more similar the response.” Remember, “If they persecute Me, they will persecute you. All that live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. Blessed are you when men cast insults at you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil against you falsely on account of Me. Rejoice and be glad…for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

I [James] then wrote something else I felt God impressed on my heart. If you boldly stand for God, you will be misunderstood by some and misrepresented by many.

We need not be ashamed when we bring God up, even if all falls flat and others don't know how to respond. That's not our problem but theirs. It's up to the Lord to do the work. Thank You for removing that much responsibility from me! A word here and there will open up hearts. Like mine when a woman I worked with (and now one of my closest friends) kept talking about church and Bible studies. I grimaced one day at the lunch table and these words of distain spilled out of my mouth: You told us that already. But those words began to do a work in me despite my wanting to reject her words. We can't despise the looks, actions or silence. God may just be doing a new thing in someone else. This is God announcing that new thing that we don't even understand yet! See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?

Oh, this was supposed to be about a new thing in the Church but look where my rambling mind went. Same concept though for the Church. Letting go and stretching. Allowing a new thing to be done instead of fighting it. Stepping out. Letting God do a work, even if we want to reject this new thing, like people rejecting Him. God will not begin a new thing [in His Church] until He does away with the old - David Wilkerson. That's what I'm talking about. In Christ we can do. It may not seem like it, but God's ways are far greater. 

See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (Isaiah 42:9, 2 Corinthians 5:17)

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Sister! We cheat ourselves when we keep His Word to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete