Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Do Not Worry, Part ???

Matthew 6:25 - Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life...

I don't often just open the Bible and read what's on that particular page, but I did this morning. What a delightful word, again. A word I needed to hear. That's God, all right. He knows what we need when we need it and although this may seem a coincidence to some, He knew it was a word for me today.

Deep in my spirit there is a knowing that all things will be according to God's plan and I'm so thankful for that. There are times though I want to see things happen now. The waiting period has been long and I must cling to the very personal promises God has revealed to me in the Spirit. That is hard when the days since those promises have been many. But then to the Lord a day can be as a thousand years or a thousand years as a day. God has no time schedule. But living in this 24-hour-a-day rigid world we have makes my patience a thing to be worked on.

Psalm 126:5 - Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting. My mind has been racing again, filled with tidbits of seemingly disjointed ideas. I sense they are all connected and one cannot be removed from another. Yet to make sense of them altogether makes me nuts! It's like one of those crazy dreams we all have where you know what you dreamed but you can't put any of it into words except to say, "I had this weird dream last night." I'm not saying I'm crying over this, but there are times when the burden is heavy and yet you know that when it's done there will be rejoicing...and you might even think, "Oh, for Pete's sake, why did I fret so?"

I think it's more a frustration. I need a word from the Lord. And He says not to worry about anything. He tells me to just give it all to Him and He will handle everything in His perfect way and in His perfect timing. That's such a comfort until I think, "but when is that perfect timing?" And then I can hear God saying, "Oh, for Pete's sake!"

I'm reminded in Matthew 6 that I am of more value than the birds of the air which God feeds. Feeding...he feeds me with His Word. His Words are soothing in the midst of these times. Oh, the peace that comes when you just sit back and thank God for His understanding of your situation, when you choose this day to again lay that burden, or burdens, at the foot of the cross...and determine not to pick them up again...today!

I know that little by little those things racing through my head will one by one be taken care of. I might not even recognize it until one day later. Or God might suddenly put it out before me and show me what I must do now! A word might need to be spoken or an action taken. Lord, just let my eyes and ears be open to see this and respond accordingly.

We are to be flexible to the will of God. We cannot say, not today, Lord. We are to be ready at any time, in season or out. That's called obedience. And as someone once said, patience is a virtue. Wait and obey, wait and obey. Ah, Jesus!

Jesus goes on to say in Matthew Chapter 6 that my Heavenly Father knows what I have need of. But we are to seek Him first. That's the most important thing in the lives of all people. To seek Him first. That first thought in the morning. Do you do that? Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night thinking of Jesus? Do songs of praise lilt through your head as you sleep and you awake praising God? You're missing out if that doesn't happen. Seriously, you are.

I'm so far from being perfect it isn't funny. But my heart is stayed on Jesus. He sees my imperfections through eyes of love since I received Him 12 years ago. Oh, how did I live without Him before? That was easy...it was my "non-knowledge" of God that got me through. Amazing how blind we can be until the Truth comes into our hearts and lives and awakens within us a whole new spirituality based on Jesus. And the work begins, the work of patience, not worrying and obedience, not always in that order.

There is only one way to the Father. When we find that Way we no longer need to fear...we might forget on occasion and become humanly impatient, but despite that there is at the end of that long string of racing thoughts a knot of peace that is tied so tightly just for you. That knot is Jesus if you have reached out in a moment of despair and grabbed hold of Him.

I'm thankful in a way for the disruption in my spirit sometimes (note I said sometimes). It helps me to realize I'm still alive! I'm still under God's wing, under His watchful eye. I know that when things come at us there will be a day when the Lord will shine when His plan has been set forth in whatever way. It won't be me who accomplished thus and so but His work through me. I'm thankful it's by His strength, whether it be a world problem or a personal one, that we come through. This happens so we cannot boast of our own accomplishments. That's why He's God and we aren't. God is who He says He is, He can do what He says He can do. We just need that mustard seed of faith, recall we have that when we grow weary. Let go of those things that we cannot do anything about and just let Him be who He is best at being...the one true God.

After writing all this I checked in on Oswald Chambers. He talked about friendship with Jesus through our own sacrifice and surrender to Him. He writes: We never know the joy of self-sacrifice until we abandon in every particular. Self-surrender is the most difficult thing - I will if . . . ! ... As soon as we do abandon, the Holy Ghost gives us an intimation of the joy of Jesus...and the thought of sacrifice never touches us because sacrifice is the love passion of the Holy Ghost...when the sacrifice is made with the eyes on Him, slowly and surely the moulding influence begins to tell. We sacrifice to and for Jesus. Giving up our burdens is a form of self-sacrifice, a form of love for Jesus, knowing He can do a better job in any circumstance.
Let me end with this. It is partly a work (renewing) left to do in me and partly a wonderful promise (the eternal rewards are greater). We may weep today, but we will rejoice tomorrow:

2Corinthians 4:16-18 - Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, for Pete's sake, Laurie! Now I suppose I'll have another crazy dream tonight! Seriously, another powerful 3-word message: Do Not Worry. Period.

    ReplyDelete