Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Selah!

Psalm 46:8a,10a,11 - Come, behold the works of the LORD...be still, and know that I am God...the LORD of hosts is with us...the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Shutting down the noise that consumes us from day to day. That was part of a discussion we had Sunday morning in Bible study. Tuning out the noise...all of it...and relishing in the quiet that we might hear God speak. Quieting yourself before the Lord.

The word "selah" is a Hebrew word that has been difficult to interpret. Literally it means to lift up, exalt. Other interpretations explain it to mean to "think on this," to "stop and listen," or "let those with eyes see and with ears hear." It pretty much means to weigh carefully. The Word of God in every way should be lifted up and exalted. They are His voice speaking to us. 

We are told to meditate on His Word. If we spend time in the Word each day He speaks to us. If we concentrate on His Word and let it get into our spirits, we can later remember what He has said to us. It's important to know what His Word says and allow ourselves to be reminded of it throughout the day. 

But so often we don't hear God speak because our mind is bombarded with sounds that distract. Even good music. We can be lost in the busyness of life so easily. Is the radio on in the car or can you envelop yourself in the quietness of your own thoughts? Can you silence yourself and speak to God as you're running from here to there? 

This is something that has stuck with me since then. I like silence. I can drive without the radio. I don't do it all the time. But just what am I thinking about? I know my mind is always going. Am I thinking about God? Am I praising Him for the beauty of this world? Am I thanking Him for another day or for the things that He has given me? Am I carrying a dialog with Him or am I just consumed in mundane thoughts?

I have occasionally taken little road trips throughout Wisconsin to photograph nature and beautiful farm land. I look forward to that time. I generally take CD's otherwise I'd be changing stations constantly, or some areas are so remote I can't pick up anything but static. But you know what? I tend to drive in silence. Not always, but when the music is off, I'm taking in and acknowledging the beauty of God's creation and thanking Him for the marvelous scenery...even the knowledge He has given to man to create structures, even roads, signs, the cleverness of it all.

These trips bring a wonderful time of peace. Plus there's excitement and anticipation that comes when I'm am on the top of a hill and I see a road clearly named "Something-or-Other Hollow." I know what lies ahead...lush, green vegetation, perhaps a creek or small river, moistness in the air. God's creation is endless and I know that He's glad that I'm enjoying it, because it is showing Him my love for Him. I have drawn near to Him and I feel I am in His presence. 

We can do the same anywhere. We can shut down the noise of the world, apart from the birds and rustling trees, and tune ourselves in to God. It's in those places He speaks to our spirits. I had been awakened at 2 a.m. twice this week. Each time some tidbit of information came into my spirit. That's God speaking. Two blogs were created during that time! Sometimes if we are too busy, He will get our attention at "inconvenient" times. I'm learning not to be upset over this. If God wants me to spend time with Him, I'm going to be ecstatic about it. 

You know, though, He would much rather we spend all our time with Him. If He is consuming our thoughts in the midst of what we do, I'm sure He's also very pleased. It's not easy and I don't claim perfection here! I'm amazed, however, at how one friend and I will check in with each other sometimes weekly. Not all our conversation is spiritual, but we have both noticed that somehow the conversation veers toward God and that's when our words become animated, exciting. I'd heard or read one time that when we talk about God, He stores up those words. I'd like to think He does.

I wonder what it's like for the Lord to hear all the stuff that takes place on a daily basis throughout the world? I'm sure He's able to filter in His own omnipotent way. But I wonder how much makes Him happy and how much saddens Him?

And from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. (Deuteronomy 4:29, James 4:8)

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing what we learn in the silence ... and actually are able to hear Him!

    ReplyDelete