Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Delivered

Psalm 18:19b - He delivered me because He delighted in me.

I heard someone say one time "He found God." That's not how it happens. He finds us...and we have the choice to respond or not. Ephesians 1:4 - ...just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love...

God delighted in me. He delivered me from my enemy, the devil. And He did it because He delighted in me.

I was somewhat involved in the occult before I knew Christ. I'd always read my horoscope although deep in my spirit I believed it was hokey--too general, could apply to anyone--so I quite often read it at the end of the day to see if my day panned out like it proposed it would. 

Then I became a fan of Shirley MacLaine and her ideas that we could be God and all the weird ideas about astral projection. Ugh. I dread the thought. I was searching for something spiritual but didn't realize I was headed in the wrong direction. 

At 40 I quit my job and took an extended bike trip in Europe on my bicycle. I wanted to find myself. Experience after experience showed me long after the fact that I was being protected somehow.

All I can say is I am so grateful for the turnaround in my life. I know now where I can find my strength, know my future in Christ and where true wisdom resides. Not in tarot cards, numerology, crystals or the lines on the palms of my hands...even in spirit guides. All this frustrated me because nothing seemed to work. Hmmmm, I wonder why? My strength is in the Lord. He calls divination an abomination...sin...period. I'm so thankful to God for freeing me from all that and allowing me to set my feet upon His rock of salvation.

When I came to know the Lord, came into relationship with Him and contemplated all these things, I realized I had been protected...by a God who delighted in me. I believe He kept me safe because He knew one day would come when I could no longer look to these things for my future, but would choose to allow Him to lead me down the right path...God's shining path (Job 41:32). 

I confessed those sins. I prayed against further involvement. I feel so stupid at times for the mistakes I made. But God forgives so wonderfully. I didn't know any better back then. I was only doing what so many others do.

He has plans for me. I sometimes don't think I'm realizing them yet but He will bring forth these plans when the time is right. At Bible study this morning we talked about God's shining path. We talked about the plans He has for all of us who choose to follow Him down that path. He lights the way. And it was said that even if we do not fully know what His plans are for our lives, if we are following Him, every day is part of that plan and it starts with the mundane things like doing laundry or cleaning the house. You start with the small things and He will enlarge your territory.

God can deliver anyone from anything...if they want it bad enough. And that anything is your enemy, the thing the devil would want to keep you in bondage with. Thank God He delights in all people and wants to see all delivered. Is there something that you need to let go of? Fear, anxiety, unforgiveness, addiction? Let God deliver you because He delights in you, too.

Psalm 18:46 - The LORD lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let the God of my salvation be exalted.

1 comment:

  1. If not for all our stupid mistakes, there would have been nothing to learn from! So thankful that He does delight in us .. in spite!

    ReplyDelete