Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mercy and Grace, in That Order

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

How good God is, even if it is a reprimand! I had a rough day one day in Puerto Rico with my mother in law. I was tired because I'd not slept well and maybe because a low pressure system had set in. I chose to hibernate, as it were, for the day upstairs where I'd "get away from it all." I needed a day to myself to recharge.

Upon arising the next morning with yet another rough night's sleep (sometimes the roosters in the neighborhood can be a little confused about the time or a stray cat causes all the dogs to begin showing their disdain for him), I spent some time with the Lord and checked my emails, reading two devotions that pricked my conscience and spoke to my heart.

One by David Wilkerson told of how Paul was in prison chained to the prisoners on either side of him. He had absolutely no privacy but instead of choosing to grouse (my word, not Wilkerson's!) he thought about how he could glorify God in all this. The day before I'd been reading about another similar thing--how to humble yourself and be a servant. Humble yourself...be a sacrifice for God so He can be glorified through your actions. Only God knows  if I accomplished that! I believe my obedience was the key.

Paul couldn't change his circumstances. Neither could I. The lesson I learned, or more accurately was reminded of, was that I could change internally. My steps were (and always are) ordered by the Lord, therefore it was up to me to do as He would do--be thankful and praise Him in my circumstances. Instead of running, instead of looking forward to a new day, grasp the one I'm in and live it out. That's all anyone can do. I needed a change of heart, not scenery.

Oh, the day to recharge was probably a good thing just the same. Even Jesus got away but as He did He spent that time with His Father. And what did He do? He prayed. He drew near to the throne of grace. He listened as God spoke. He was refreshed.

So having read these two devotions, I came to a conclusion: I needed to do the same and ask for God's mercy and grace. The second devotion by Derek Prince explained '"According to your lovingkindness" is another way of saying 'Your covenant-keeping faithfulness.'" God has formed a covenant with us and will not, cannot, break it if we enter into it with Him, unlike how we can easily break covenant with Him. God is committed to forgiving us if we meet the necessary conditions and seek Him regarding it. Again, it is humbly seeking and meeting Him. Then letting Him speak to our hearts and turn our thinking around, letting His strength and His peace come forth in us.

Mercy and grace = mercy is for past, grace is for what lies ahead, asking for what we need (you do not have because you do not ask - James 4:2).

As I chose to look differently on the day(s) ahead my spirit and soul filled with peace and even expectation. I conquered, head on, the enemy (NOT my mother in law!) who wants nothing but to bring disruption and division. Praise God He is bigger! He is high and lifted up, the enemy is His footstool and under His feet.

The days continued smoothly. I asked for continued grace and received it. This is a great lesson for any situation we might be faced with. Go to the throne of grace and ask for forgiveness for how you're feeling. Realize it is the enemy of your soul attacking and thank God for His greatness in any situation and for His mercy.

Psalm 51:1-3 - Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness [Your covenant-keeping faithfulness]; according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment