Monday, June 17, 2019

Our Portion

Lamentations 3:24 - “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!”

We talked about the LORD (God) being our portion in Sunday school this morning. We referenced Psalm 119:57 which says: You are my portion, O LORD; I have said that I would keep Your words.

There are several instances of this phrase about God being our portion. I have always thought portion was our all in all. We discussed how portion means a part of something. However, in this instance portion means a possession or reward. This is an amazing concept! We are a part of His inheritance, if we are in Christ Jesus.

My thoughts on all this: When we have asked Christ into our lives He is not some God in the universe anymore but is now more personal, a possession. We have become children of God after receiving Christ, which means God, as our Heavenly Father, has given us an inheritance...an inheritance or portion that each of us shared and yet all our own. I know, hard to comprehend sometimes. 

We have an amazing God. As was spoken in church yesterday morning, and is biblical... who is like our God? We cannot in our human minds understand the depths of this God...but when He becomes an integral part of our lives we gain access to this very concept of the very real, yet not fully known, amazing, unfathomable greatness of our God!
[Oh]...that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height—to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

And there it is, the fullness of God, that portion. That inheritance. A part and yet the whole. Perhaps some day we will know in our spiritual minds just how awesome this God of ours is. Perhaps those who will spend eternity with Him will learn over the time of eternity everything about Him.

I’d heard this one time... In the Book of Revelation 4:8 we see this: The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: “Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!” Now before I go on, while we may not know who these creatures are (I don’t), there will be creatures then! One explanation of this, purely speculation, was these creatures (and perhaps all saints in heaven, those who have received Christ and are born again believers) are in such awe of what they see or hear that each “holy” (which continues night and day) is yet another revelation of God’s infinite self and character. We cannot comprehend how exceedingly great He is. It’s our faith in this Person that keeps us going. If that’s all I do is cry holy, I will be satisfied.

So, if a portion is our inheritance and He has given us this inheritance, He will also maintain it. His promises for us today are sure. He will not leave us or forsake us. He does not lie and His promises are sure. (I need to hear this myself.) He has granted us forgiveness of sin and eternal life. Portion but a whole. I want that portion. I hope you do too.


Psalm 16:5 - O LORD, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment