Wednesday, May 22, 2019

A Heart Issue

Ezekiel‬ ‭36:26-27‬ ‭- I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

I say this a lot! Coming to Christ is not about anything we can do. Our works, the Bible says, are as filthy rags. Our church or denomination can do no more than point us in the right direction. It is purely something that takes place between you and God by the absolute power of God. He initiates it.
You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. (John‬ ‭15:16‬)

It’s a heart issue He deals with. He changes them to turn to Him and receive Him. He then is able to  teach the truth.His power to do this is amazing. Thinking about Jesus’ ministry, His preaching touched some people’s hearts. Then again those religious leaders who knew the laws of the Old Testament would not be changed. They could not humble their hearts to the truth that Jesus preached. So stubbornness can linger in some and prevent God from doing a better thing in those lives.

I was doing a Bible study recently and two things I was reading and something posted on Facebook that morning were all on the same subject...the change of heart by God. It has little to do with us but a lot to do with God.

  • ...His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue... (2Peter‬ ‭1:3‬)  
  • This power is not given us apart from Christ, but it is in the knowledge of Christ, in our union with Christ, in our communion with him…that we have these privileges and blessings secured to us. - Hudson Taylor
  • On Facebook:  https://youtu.be/38yMUYoX38w    (an excellent video)

The Lord your God will change your heart and the hearts of all your descendants, so that you will love Him with all your heart and soul and so you may live! (Deuteronomy‬ ‭30:6‬)

If this all sounds uncomfortable, giving your heart over to Him to change that you would follow Him, know this: sometimes we can fight against this all we want, but sometimes He can break through even a stubborn heart. He did that with me in a split second and I knew without a doubt it was Him because I was resisting terribly until that moment. He did that with the Apostle Paul on the road to Damascus.

Many suggest that leniency for illegals or stricter gun control or a pro-choice option will help change situations. Some causes definitely are good but the root of evil will always be a heart issue and is one which we all have to start out with in life. But Jesus came to change all that. He came to allow us to be born again...it starts with a change of heart to receive Him in the most intimate (not sexual but spiritual) way. We might think we know Him but many really do not because their heart has not changed. Some don’t want to change. I get it. But I’m certainly glad mine was because I can be assured of a life after this physical life is over.

Let me ask this question: Are you absolutely sure you will go to heaven? Remember, you have to remove those works that are as filthy rags from the equation. And if what Romans 3:23 says is true, that all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory, what is left? Think about it.

Psalm‬ ‭51:16-17‬ ‭- For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart—these, O God, You will not despise.

No comments:

Post a Comment