Saturday, December 1, 2018

More Precious Than Gold

1Peter‬ ‭1:6-9 - In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 

Oh, that testing of our faith!! Praise the Lord. Yes, praise Him!

We all do go through trials. Knowing, loving and serving our God doesn’t come easy. We have highs and lows. Those highs are amazing. There’s a richness in those times when we feel His presence. Praise comes easier. Reading the Bible and hearing Him speak is glorious. New truths are revealed. We learn new things or old things are given even deeper meaning. Our faith needs little testing!

Then there are the valleys in our walk. Days are long, maybe darker. His voice is not very clear or not heard at all. We can feel alone, separated even in the midst of other believers, especially when they are on their mountain top. (Ouch) We can begin to, or once again experience, doubt. It’s painful. It can be fearful. That joy is gone. We could be experiencing that testing of our faith. It might feel like we’re being tested by fire! 

I’ve gone through this. More than once. When I get to the breaking point and I’m not hearing God, I might seek a solid Christian friend, if for no other reason but to share my feelings. Depending on who it is, I might receive just enough encouragement! And sometimes they just happen to be reaching out to me with something to share without my saying a word...but what they share is just what I needed to hear. It confirms thoughts I’ve had in the time of pondering my faith...and it’s good! 

Yes, we will be tested. The end result is what we look forward to if we don’t throw in the towel. What has God done in us during this difficult time? Has He purged some things? Maybe He has shown another side to Himself. Maybe we’ve gained even more trust in Him to know that He is who He says He is and does what He wills. Speaking of will, perhaps He has broken a bit of ours, to conform us more and transform us to be more in His image. 

The truth I’ve known over the years is this verse: Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! (Psalm‬ ‭34:8) It can be hard to go back to our lives before Christ, if we have received Him, tasted His Words that are like honey to our mouths. The truth is also in this verse: You will know the truth and the truth will set you free. (John 8:32) Even in times of trials one truth remains: ...the word of the LORD endures forever. Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you. (1‭‭Peter‬ ‭1:25‬) 

Jesus is still the same yesterday, today and forever. He never lies; He never changes. The truth is always IN Him. If we remain in Him, He remains hidden within us. His truth is hidden in our hearts. When we have His Word hidden in our hearts, He has spoken to us; and when it comes to mind, He is speaking to us, in this truth, either through admonition or encouragement. We have been set free from the entanglements of the world. How many of us know this and can say this? 

Testing. I’ve said this before, I’ll say it again. When students are taking a test in school, the teacher remains silent! Thank You, Lord!!

Philippians‬ ‭3:7-8‬ ‭- But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ...

No comments:

Post a Comment