Monday, May 30, 2016

Freedom

Galatians‬ ‭5:1‬ ‭- Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.‭‭

What does freedom mean to you? 

This is Memorial Day weekend. Many men have fought and many have died that we would have freedom. Sometimes war is necessary to keep the enemy at bay. It's not always an agreeable topic but I don't think it can be denied. We are called to love our enemies but when our lives are at stake a just war is acceptable. 

Freedom is often not free. Someone has to pay the price. Those who benefit from the battle ensued have received momentary freedom.

There was one Man who died 2000 years ago that we might have our freedom. His name is Jesus Christ. Here, too, He paid the price with His death, but for we who choose to receive Him it is a free gift. Unlike the men who died in battle, however, Jesus rose again from the day that we may have life and that we may have it abundantly. This freedom is not momentary but eternal. 

This is not to say our life will be free from difficulty. We still suffer illness or hardship. We suffer persecution, whether at the hands of terrorists who hate Christians, or in lesser ways, believers being chided for their beliefs. Despite what we go through, believers still have freedom in Christ.

Someone from my church posted about all the verses to our National Anthem. We all know the first one but the other three are not generally sung. He said his favorite was verse four. I agree. 

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

My freedom comes first from the Lord. This is freedom I can trust confidently. Man will fail in this world but Jesus will not. To know Him is the ultimate freedom. I am thankful for the men and women who have fought or will fight against our enemies, whether here or abroad. It is necessary. We see enemies arising. We need to protect our freedom whether in our neighborhood, city, country…or world. But even if, or when, we lose it, my strength and hope are in the Lord. 

In God I trust. We all can. The spiritual battle is all His if we call on Him, if we trust in Him. I'm thankful for the peace He brings. My life, though it will end someday, has an eternal consequence.  It happened as a result of a particular action. That action was receiving Christ. Trusting in Him for my life and freedom--through Him. It's not physical, it's spiritual. That's what I look forward to. 

John‬ ‭14:27‬ ‭- Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment