Saturday, April 16, 2016

Out of This World

John 17:6,9,15-16 - I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

I saw a picture someone had posted on Facebook. I suppose it was for Earth Day. Not sure. It was a picture of the earth superimposed with these words: Friendly reminder-this is the only earth we have.

Well, a couple thoughts went through my mind. God created this earth, it is His. Sometimes man tries to mess with the natural occurrence of things. Sometimes trees have to be taken down to allow for new growth. Much like what God does with us...needing to do something in us to cause new growth...in Him! But man messes with that by determining his ways are better than God's.

Of course we do need to pay heed to how we take care of this land. God has given us the command to be good stewards of it. But going to extremes is not necessary. Saving a whale or spider or snake over a human life? I don't think so. Climate change is a controversial subject. We must remember God is in control...of all things...and that this world is not our home.

Life in Christ is far more important and this is what we should be focused on. This world will end someday. It will be by God's hand, His timing, His design...as seen in Revelation. The saving of souls is what we should be concerned with, not the saving of trees or animals, neither of which have a soul. Saving our own souls if we need Christ, or others' if we are in Christ. God will still cause things on earth to come an go. If he doesn't want something to become extinct I think He can deal with that quite easily! After all, To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

My initial thought though was how this world is not my final home. I'm just passing through. Scripture tells us we, in Christ, are just sojourners, foreigners in this world (1Peter 2:11-12). We know our real kingdom is in heaven. And despite how beautiful this earth is, heaven will be even more beautiful.

As John points out above, however, we are not removed from this world just yet. We are to be in the world, but not of it. There is a task assigned to us while we are here. The same task as given to the disciples: And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)

That's why I blog. This is my voice...for now. I don't know who I reach. I don't know if I'm effective or not. I don't need to know. God knows. I hopefully plant the seed, someone else might do some watering, but only He brings in the harvest, something I must keep reminding myself. I am to just do as I believe He leads me, to be part of those who would preach the Gospel in love. I'm only called to tell the truth, about the truth...Jesus, the only way, truth and life.

The truth opens our eyes to new things. I may have been in the ranks of an environmentalist before, may have wanted to save whales, definitely was pro- choice, and certainly believed I, as being better than a murderer, rapist or thief, would enter heaven based on the "good" I thought I did. But the truth of Jesus Christ showed me another side. The right side, although some may disagree. My eyes have been opened to greater things, of things above. A transformation has taken place. It is my hope that others will see this also.

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

No comments:

Post a Comment