Friday, October 30, 2015

Doors

Revelation‬ ‭3:7-8‬ - And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write, These things says He who is holy, He who is true, He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens: "I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name."

Oh my. This study on Revelation weekly boosts my faith. In the beginning we were told not so much to focus on some of the details. There are differing opinions and some things we just don't need to know, or ever will in this lifetime. We were reminded to not fear and just stay focused on the Lord Jesus Christ...no matter what. It's always about staying focused on Him and trusting Him. After 32 weeks of this sort of admonishment, we had all better get it! 

While we might say we have faith, it may not always seem that strong. However, Jesus says ...for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ‭‭(Matthew‬ ‭17:20‬) That is a little faith! And that fits right in with having little strength...of our own...why we need Jesus.

What struck me about this particular lesson and comes to mind now and then is the reward for our faithfulness to Him...as individuals and the Church. There are many people who cannot tolerate what believers stand for. It's becoming more evident and will not tone itself down. God is looking for people and churches who will not back down because of those who persecute. There is a name for them...the remnant. They are those who hold on no matter what. Those who will not compromise with society's views on any issue that God does not approve of. 

Those individuals and churches are deemed intolerant, not with the times. I'm just throwing this out there: the intolerance is not ours but theirs. They balk at knowing the truth, like I did for a very long time as I developed a feminist, no doubt even liberal, attitude. God can change any person. Even conservatives can have wrong beliefs...

This is what God says to those people and churches who stand wholly on His Word, His truth: I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it. Because we stand for Him and His Word, God honors our work. Nothing will get in the way as long as we take a stand. When we are sharing God, His Son Jesus, His Word, in any way, shape or form, and it is true, we are in His will and He will not close doors. 

So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. (Isaiah‬ ‭55:11‬)  I love that. When we quote scripture, put it out in the atmosphere, on paper, on the web, God can miraculously use it. His words will not return void. Gill's Commentary on not returning void says this: it shall not return to me void; it is accompanied with a divine energy; it is the power of God to salvation: but it shall accomplish that which I please; in the conversion of sinners, and comfort of saints... In other words, what He says, will happen. When He opens a door, it cannot be shut. We don't need our own strength. We only need His, through His Word. 

One day unbelievers' words will convict them before a holy God if they do not change their attitude, turn from their beliefs and hear the words of truth. It's never too late. All He wants for us to do is be obedient to His Word. That means believing it, acting on it, sharing it, living it. If we compromise with the world we're toast! If we cling to His commands we will be called the good and faithful servants.

I know some think serving God is a sign of weakness. But Jesus says in our weakness He is 
made strong. As long as we hold on to our strength, He cannot accomplish those things He wants for us. I need to realize this in greater measure myself. 

Lord, I am so thankful Your words carry so much truth, strength, wisdom. I don't need to rely on my own! I pray You will, over the next few months, open my mind's eye to even richer truths and greater faith for the days ahead. Thank You for never giving up on those who earnestly seek You, even if we don't always get it! 

When we have opened the door of our hearts to receive Him, He opens and closes doors in our lives by His authority alone. And He has shown us that once we are situated as His, have become overcomers in this goofy world of upside down thinking, standing on His Word alone, not others', He allows yet another glorious door to be closed, like the door of the Ark which was closed on a rebellious world back in Noah's day. Think about it. Noah was scoffed for 100 years as he built the Ark. But who was saved from the flood that ensued?? 

The door He closes is to our eternal kingdom, safety, in and through Christ. Once we have been brought in through that door, which IS Jesus Christ, that door shuts and He won't let us out. Who cares what the world thinks when you can have the God of this universe at your side? He offers us so much more. 

Revelation‬ ‭3:12‬ ‭- He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
‭‭

No comments:

Post a Comment