Thursday, July 23, 2015

Imputed Righteousness

Philippians 3:7-9 - But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Himnot having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith...

Imputed righteousness. We had a great discussion at church last night on this issue. Imputed is defined as: any action or word or thing as reckoned to a person. Therefore, the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them that believe in him, or so attributed to them as to be considered their own.

So basically, I can consider myself righteous. I have received Christ as my Savior. I have been reconciled to God. I have responded to God's prompting to come to Him, repent of my sins, trust in Him, follow Him, learn of Him, share Him with others (be a disciple). 

“For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2Corinthians 5:14-15,17)

A new person! The sins of my past, all of them, are forgiven. Oh, don't I know I needed to be forgiven! Those sins are not part of my life anymore. I know better. I feel conviction thinking of them, although I don't go there much anymore. I'm a new person! And because I am a new person, as 2Corinthians continues, I have become, as anyone would, an ambassador for Christ, as though God were pleading through us... So it is my/our job, as it were, to implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” (2Corinthians 5:20-21)

The righteousness of God comes to each person who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ. Forget about religion. Focus on a relationship with Christ. We all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We are freely justified by His grace through the Lord Jesus Christ alone not by anything we think we have done or what any religion says we must do, apart from what the Bible says...that is, the receiving of Christ as Lord and Savior...being reconciled to God...being born again. Galatians 2:16 - ...knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law [what man tells us] but by faith in Jesus Christ...for by the works of the law [what man tells us] no flesh shall be justified.

Righteousness is imputed to us through Christ. We cannot boast of this in our own abilities/works, but boast in His righteousness given to us. But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14)

Before anyone thinks this is arrogant, it is imputed to anyone who chooses to believe and follow Jesus Christ. Choose being the important word here. These statements are all biblical. They come from God. 2Corinthians 5:21 - For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

God's Word speaks for itself. If you have come into relationship with Jesus Christ, you have received this righteousness. If you aren't sure, maybe you haven't heard His call or have not recognized it as God or are rejecting it. If you have felt His nudge, feel He's trying to reach you, I would not hesitate another day. It is an honor and privilege to be called by the God of this universe. He desires you as His child. If you are rejecting it, I'd think about not doing that. 

The world holds nothing of greater value than what God has to offer...ultimately eternal life. Forget all the treasures of this life. Jesus Christ is a greater treasure. Forget all the accomplishments...He gave His life for you. That meant giving up all for you because He loves you. He came as a servant. He had nothing. He is to be our example. Knowing Him is what is important. Having Him as the center of your life is what matters.

I'm again bringing up the Book of Ecclesiastes. All we have done, do or will do that we view as an important achievement, something that gets the oohs and aahhs of friends and family is vanity and a grasping for the wind. It's all been done before. When we die, it should not be our defining legacy. What is important is did we live for Christ because He above all matters most. (Ecclesiastes 1:2-3,14,12:13-14)  

1Corinthians 1:30-31 - But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.”

No comments:

Post a Comment