Monday, December 8, 2014

I Will Not Believe


John 20:18-25

Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her. Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you."

When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 

And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." 

Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."


I chose to stop here though this part of the story is not finished.

The disciples now have seen Jesus. They've heard Him speak. They have recognized Him and knew all He had said was true. Even the words earlier came to fruition: But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning. (‭John‬ ‭15‬:‭26-27‬) They now were filled with the Holy Spirit to receive wisdom and power.

But here also is the account of Thomas who needed to see to believe. I think this is where many people are, needing to see and not believing by faith. If one looks around His glory is seen. In all of life His glory is seen. Yet we can take life and all we have for granted. We don't always take into account Who started our life, Who has given us all these things.

Many times we need to be put into a situation where we see for ourselves, through tragedy sometimes, the outstretched hand of the Lord wanting to rescue us. It happens spiritually. And we see, spiritually. We recognize Jesus before us and we believe.

I had no idea prior to my born again experience what was about to take place and even when it happened I couldn't fully comprehend what all had transpired. I just know I had met with Jesus in a moment and He changed my life. A desire to know more filled me...and believing all He had said was true. He breathed on me. His Holy Spirit filled me and began the teaching.

I can say, I have seen the Lord. And others might say, Not until I see Him for myself will I believe. Ask Him to show Himself, if you really want to know. If you are not absolutely sure, ask Him.

James 1:5-6 - If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment