Monday, February 17, 2014

Parable of the Soils

Good grief! I started these posts on the the parables of Kingdom of Heaven is Like and realized I was bouncing around because the idea came to me somewhere in the middle of reading them. I'm still not organized and it's too late!

There is another parable, of the soils, and since I've written about them before, I will just repost.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 7, 2010

Scattered Seeds

Luke 8:5-8 - A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.

I will repeat myself again and again because I am amazed at how God works! I read this parable Tuesday morning before going to Bible study. I had not read my lesson for this week (shame on me) so I didn't know what the subject matter would be about. Wouldn't you know, it was centered on the above parable.

I had already contemplated writing a blog about this. The seed represents God's Word. The farmer can represent God Himself, or those who delight in sharing His Word with others, like the disciples I discussed yesterday. The deterrents are the devil.

This particular farmer must have had some interesting land considering all the different terrain described above! So, he scattered seed and some fell along a path. It surely did not have much time to get itself situated in the ground with all the hungry birds hovering and waiting for that farmer to move on so they could dive in on this delectable treat. The meaning here is the seed (Word of God) was sown into the life of a person or persons. It didn't have a chance at all to take root because the birds came along too quickly and took whatever chance of belief and salvation out from them immediately.

I can tell you that back in the late 60's a roommate of mine asked me to go to church with her one night. When I arrived I realized it was a type of "religious" outreach. At the end we were urged if we had not received Jesus to come forward. I was very uncomfortable with the whole thing and only went forward because of my roommate. From the moment we left that building, some "birds" came right by and snatched that seed from me. And I have to admit, I didn't mind one bit. What happened that night was banished from my mind...until years later!

The seed that fell on rock...it appears the seed was trying to grow; I've seen plants growing in rock crevices somehow, but whether they survive or not, I don't know. These seeds, though, in time withered because there was nothing to keep them moist. This is like the Word being sown into another person's life and is received for a time but something gets in the way, perhaps lack of interest or intimidation by someone they know. They go to church once or twice and never return for more nourishment, for more of that living water that never causes you to thirst again. Maybe they figure they've heard all they need to and are satisfied with the status quo. We need to keep that Word in our hearts where it can be nourished.

Seed among the thorns. Ouch. If there's a thorny bush, obviously the soil is fertile enough for it to grow. But this seed is struggling in its foothold over this tough competitor. This Word is sown,
accepted, even nurtured and watered. But eventually the fight for survival takes place and the thorny bush wins. We accept Christ and things go well for awhile. Then we might begin to miss some of the things we used to do, miss some of our old haunts with our old friends, begin to think more about those "finer" things we held so dear in life. In a moment of weakness we allow those things back into our lives and the Word and all it represents is choked out of us. We revert back to the old person we were.

Then there's the seed that falls in the good soil. Well, you know what a farmer's field looks like that has been well taken care of. It springs to life, shoots begin to come up, it grows larger producing whatever tasty morsel it's supposed to. It begins to bear fruit. Fruit that is savory and good for us, that feeds and sustains us. This is what God's Word will do if we allow our hearts and minds to be that good soil, to take hold of that Word, let it take root, nourish it by attending to it daily. "Taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34:8) comes to mind! That fruit will continue to bear more and more fruit. It can go through harvest and produce more seed for the next year.

Where is the Word of God in your life? Which type of soil does your heart represent? Let it take root and see what the results will be.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life. I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure. Direct my steps by Your word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me. (Psalm 119:105, 103, 50, 162, 133)

No comments:

Post a Comment