Thursday, December 27, 2012

Friend for Eternity

Proverbs 18:24 - A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

I'm reading a fiction book called Angels of Morgan Hill. I read it once before but this time I have a purpose...a book club for which I am leading the discussion. A big thing for me!!

Very briefly it's about a black family moving into a small town in Tennessee in 1947. The town is divided because of this family. And those offering to be friends just because they don't see the color of their skin get a bit snubbed too.

Only on page 40! And already seeing the words of God in play. Funny how a person who knows Christ can see these things. Well, it is written by a Christian woman...but scripture is not part of it. Although you can see the goodness of God (and the not so kindness of others) through the actions of the characters.

Here we have a young mother who has lost her abusive husband recently and she finds she is pregnant with her third child. She's just not sure this is a good thing because she has no money and she can see tough times ahead.

She has befriended the new, young black mother who suspects she has is pregnant. She confronts her. They talk, a bit. Addy says: "Miz Fran, I don't know nothing about the race you're running. All I know is that if you want I'll be one of them people who'll give you a cup of cold water." Fran responds: "I might need a great, big pitcher of water." "Then I'll just keep my well full...One day you'll look back and wonder how you ever made it through--how you ever got to the other side--but you did. We always do."

I think of Jesus and the good Samaritan. I think of Peter the Cyrene as Jesus dragged His cross to Calvary. Both gave help to one who clearly was shunned not realizing who He was. I think of Someone who will stick closer than a brother...if we so desire. I think of One who will not leave you or forsake you, one Whose well of living water is always full to those who need it from Him.


Jesus didn't come to remove our troubles because while we are this earth we will always have them. He came to help us through His love and strength through these times.

I know of a few people who are in need of this well. One knows Jesus and I pray for strength in these difficult days ahead after having lost his sweet wife. Two peas in a pod. Where there was one the other was...always. A relationship one admires. The other two are people who are in the midst of struggles also, both trying to pull through on their own, in their own strength, proclaiming it. Another I'm not so sure about. I'm not sure where her real strength lies. It's a shame people won't talk about such things when their struggles are hardest.

The next sentence from the book says this: There are few rare times in life when you feel you've found a friend for eternity. There's the word...eternity. Jesus is the best and only friend we will have for eternity but He must be a part of our lives today. Not just an empty hope in something, but a hope that has a name...Jesus. He is One who will never turn His back on you once you enter into relationship with Him. Oh, you might turn your back on Him, for which He will be saddened, but should you return back to Him, like the prodigal son's father, His arms will be open wide for that moment. No person on this earth can do what He has done. Keep that in mind.

It begins and ends with Jesus. Are you troubled? Seek Him. Seek that friend Who will never leave you.

Proverbs 17:17 - A friend (Jesus) loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment