Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Truth


Galatians 1:8,9 - But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed...if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Oh, the resounding words Paul spoke...twice. Paul, who said he was an apostle but not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead (verse 1). This is a man God used to spread the truth of the Gospel.

Remember, Paul, as Saul, used to persecute the Jews until God revealed Himself to him. Within three days he was preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the same vigor as he persecuted Jesus' followers, but not through his own words but through the words of God.

Oh, what happens to us when we meet face to Face the Man who changes lives and brings about a true hope (so unlike the empty promises of man). Our convictions change. We see how skewed the world is. We see the evil in the world. We understand why things are the way they are because we have begun to understand and learn about the things of the Bible and see how events of the past were showing us how we would become.

What happens when we take a stand for Jesus even in today's so-called tolerant society? We are scorned and mocked, like Jesus was. We are looked at as different. We are even asked, Why do you have to change??  (This happened to me.) The answer is, because; it's what happens. And that may be why so many do not really want to know Jesus. They like the way they are and don't want to change.

I still need a lot more changing. We all do. Sometimes it seems like no change is taking place at all. But the conviction I have grows stronger the more I see what's happening today because I now know where we're headed. This is where I lose some people. They don't see what I see and don't believe that the world might really be crumbling. And that sets me apart.

Oh, but what are we told...But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy. (1Peter 2:9-10) This may sound like it is speaking of the nation of Israel, but it refers to all who follow Christ, those who have received Him as their Savior.

We are special only because of the blood of Christ. Only?? It is a privilege we have. It's a privilege available to anyone. But it comes at a price...being different, not seeing as the world sees anymore. This is not an arrogant thing, in God's eyes. It is the right thing.

If I back down in my convictions, I turn my back on God. If I give in to the ideals of the world, I give up on Jesus. If I don't speak the truth of God's Word, I am in effect a traitor. Like Paul says later: For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.

Oh, there's a word that will rub many the wrong way: bondservant. See, we knew following Jesus was considered weakness. No one is going to tell me what to do. I'm my own person. I think on my own. Hey, maybe that's why the world is like it is...because we think on our own, we make up our own rules and cast the rules of God out the window because...they are too strong, too harsh, too convicting, too old fashioned in today's tolerant world, and besides, aren't rules made to be broken??

Whoa, where did all those lies come from, I wonder?! Someone who is the father of lies, a deceiver, wanting all to perish where God wants none to perish.

A bondservant, by the way, means just what you might think...a slave. But to whom would one want to be a slave to, God or man? God, Almighty, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, Who knows the beginning from the end, Who's ways are far superior to man's because He created all things. Oh, how this world has it all backwards. In Christ we have freedom. Through Christ we have life because it's not a worldly life but spiritual...unseen by human eyes. I would rather know my spiritual future is secure through Him than to not know what my future holds.

Look at this:
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to  the point of  death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name... (Philippians 2:5-9)

What's this? Jesus taking on the form of a bondservant? If it's good enough for Him shouldn't it be good enough for us? It's all about the pride we carry that causes us to not see or receive Christ. Pride causes strife. And don't we see a lot of that in the world...in our country? God will exalt the humble and bring down the proud.

There is a narrow road that Jesus walks on. There are few people who are on it...because of pride. Because we don't want someone telling us what's wrong with our lives and what right looks like. But to some right is too narrow and wrong is more comfortable.

I am not arrogant in my thinking, as some would believe. Paul shows us that. When he met Jesus on the road to Damascus he was blinded by the Light of Christ. He was instantly shown his sins and changed. He taught, preached only what he was given through his knowledge of Jesus Christ. It can happen to anyone. It happened to me. And what does it do? It glorifies God. Do I see myself glorifying God? No. It's not necessary. I just want to speak the truth as best I can. See further what Paul says:

2Corinthians 4:2 - ...we do not act with deceit, nor do we falsify the word of God. In the full light of truth we live in God's sight and try to commend ourselves to everyone's good conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment