Thursday, June 28, 2012

Safe Dwelling


Psalm 4:1 - Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; have mercy on me, and hear my prayer. 

God is our protection. He listens to those called by His name when we call on Him. He will relieve us of our distresses. He also provides. I know I write a lot about these things. They are an important part of knowing Him and trusting in Him.

In Psalm 4 David is reminded that God does hear him when he calls out. He is praising God for the knowledge of these things. He speaks of being relieved in his distress. He is experiencing an attack by those who do not know God and live worthless and false lives (verse 2).

But David is fully aware that God hears him because he is considered godly in His eyes. He offers the suggestion that we can be angry with our enemy but we are not to sin but to continue a righteous life, trusting in the Lord for protection. This can only be as a result of our giving our lives to Christ and allowing Him to give us righteousness. This righteousness is not an arrogant thing. It comes from God; it is nothing we deserve, but through Christ's death for our sins, we can attain it if we truly put our trust in Him and allow Him to change our lives in the process.

Trusting in God means looking up to Him and not focusing on the situation. I heard someone on the radio the other morning say she drives past a field of sunflowers every day on her way to and from work. Sunflower heads follow the path of the sun throughout the day...their heads always looking up. She was reminded of the very thing I mentioned...staying focused on Him...all throughout the day. Praising Him and thanking Him for all things, all circumstances.

When we do that He will lift up the light of His countenance upon us (verse 6). When we maintain that focus on the Lord we cannot help but be filled with gladness (verse 7). Obviously, when we are filled with gladness we have peace and restful nights (verse 8). We are able to maintain contentment in our days, even when there is some distress. Remain focused on Him. Know He will not abandon you. Know He has you in the palm of His hand. And if you slip and allow the troubles to overcome, and they will, take your focus off the situation and look up. Trust that He knows what you're going through and has it all under control...if you trust in Him. Then you will find your peace again. You will again return to the dwelling of safety, knowing God has been there all along.

Psalm 4:8 - I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. 

1 comment:

  1. Laurie, I'm so encouraged by your newsletters. I most appreciate the scripture references!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete