Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nothing More Powerful


Hebrews 4:12a - For the word of God is living and powerful...

As I was spending time with the Lord this morning, I was thinking about a friend who is dealing with a health issue. Occasionally I will send a scripture to encourage her. And a thought zipped through my mind, not the first time, but as yet another reminder...there is nothing more powerful than the Word of God. Yes, I'm trying to encourage her to seek God's strength, not man's and not her own. We are weak on our own, but that weakness, when given to the Lord and replaced with His strength, becomes our strength.

No human words of encouragement can replace the Word of God. Our words may sound good, but there is something about the Word of God being spoken into a person's life...because it brings life...to weary souls, even to those who don't realize the power of God. It's the very act of speaking it forth or in some cases, writing it forth! I looked up "word" in the Baker's Bible dictionary and this one one explanation: the human word mirrors the human condition: it is limited, fallen, and dependent on divine intervention for restoration and sustenance. So much depends on God's Word.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Psalm 119:50, 105 - This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Proverbs 30:5 - Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.

What more encouragement can these scriptures be? The Word has always existed and created all things. It brings comfort, life, light in a dreary world, a shield...to those who put their trust in Him, the Living Word.

God's Word is true and just. His promises are true. His Word will not return void. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. God has sent His Word to the world, both in His Word, the Bible, and through His Word, His Son Jesus.

So, ultimately, nothing is more powerful than Jesus. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. His promises are true to those who receive Him, call on His name, have faith in Him over faith in the things of this world, which do not stand the test of time. When you receive Him by faith, the Holy Spirit of truth and life opens the eyes of understanding so hearing the Word, hearing Jesus' words speaking to us, become our ultimate knowledge. 

There is nothing more powerful than the Word of God. His Word (the Bible and Jesus) will never pass away, despite the things of the world doing so. Let us speak forth His Word, in scripture, in Jesus and in Jesus' name. Let us strengthen and arm ourselves, and others, with the "honest to God" truth of His Word.

Isaiah 55:11 - So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment