Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When I Say "I Am a Christian..."

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. (2Corinthians 5:17, Ezekiel 36:26)


God's Word is truth. The words were divinely received by men through God Himself. The words are His. 

The following poem came through my email the other day. I thought I would share because sometimes when I write about what we can be when we are in Christ, accepted by Him by our receiving Him into our lives, there may be some who would feel that they don't agree with this receiving thing because they can't picture themselves as worthy of God's grace...they don't think it's necessary...or they look at me as being full of myself. 

Oh, for Pete's sake...I certainly was not/still am not worthy on my own merits. I had a very angry personality, I spoke vile words, definitely unbecoming of a woman and certainly disrespectful of an Almighty God! I can't even tell you how much anger there was within me. I can still get angry, but it does not come from somewhere so deep in my being that I could lash out at anyone. The anger was fierce, no doubt coming from a wounded heart, lack of self-esteem and confidence. Definitely not worthy, but God...saw something else. He saw me as He created me to be, apart from who I am in the world. I'm far from being totally "there yet." You must realize a real change does take place in one who has done this and realize it's a lifetime process.

I believe He sees those unsightly parts of us in a loving and positive way. He can remove those things or He can take the negative things about us and turn them into good when done according to His plan. What might have been a weakness can become a strength. (Still waiting on that in some ways!) 

On the other hand, we need to take action. We need to allow Him to clean us up. We need to allow Him to show us where we are wrong, deal with the issues, go through them, not around or over them or ignore them altogether. Be assured that this process is necessary for all who are in Christ.

Suggesting that I am a Christian does not put me on a level that is higher than anyone else. Nor am I to be considered less than the next person. Even one denomination over another does not make us better. God looks at us all as being on the same level (that includes those non-Christian beliefs), whether you want to believe it or not, as sinners...but worthy of being saved by the blood of Jesus Christ. He can miraculously bring revelation knowledge to anyone, even if they think it's beyond their ability to understand.

Anyway...I have added scriptures to back up what each comment suggests. But like Glenn Beck always says, "Don't believe me. Check it out for yourself." Find the truths in God's Word.

When I say that 'I am a Christian', I am not shouting that 'I am clean living.'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, but now I'm found and forgiven.' 

Luke 19:10 - ...for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost. 
Colossians 2:13 - And you, being dead in your trespasses...He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses...
When I say 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride. 
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

James 3:2 - ...we all stumble in many things...
Isaiah 1:6 - From the sole of the foot even to the head, there is no soundness in it [the body, the flesh], but wounds and bruises and putrefying sores...
Romans 8:8 - So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
John 15:13 - For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
When I say 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong. 
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on. 

God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty...And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. (1Corinthians 1:27, 2Corinthians 12:9) 

When I say 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success. 
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.
Hebrews 4:15 - For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Zechariah 3:4 - Then He answered and spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, "Take away the filthy garments from him." And to him He said, "See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes."
When I say 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect. 
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.
Philippians 3:12 - Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
Matthew 6:26 - Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand." (1John 3:1a, John 10:28)
When I say 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain. 
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name. 

James 1:12 - Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test,   he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 
Psalm 118:5 - I called on the LORD in distress; the LORD answered me and set me in a broad place. 
Matthew 11:28-30 - "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me...and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
When I say 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow!
Romans 3: 23-24 - ...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus...
Romans 9:16, 3:24 - It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy...and [we] are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

You see, it is not by our good works or strength that these things happen. It is, however, an act on our part...through the blood of Jesus Christ. When we put our trust and faith in Jesus Christ alone for our lives, He will begin a good work in us. He will create in us a clean heart. He will purify us. Not because we deserve it, but because He desires it. Anything you are tired of hanging on to, any sin or hurt or frustration, can be turned around through the power of Jesus. Don't let anyone's words take away from the fact that if you do have chosen to receive Christ, you are all the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment