Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

Psalm 139:1, 13, 16-17 - O LORD, You have searched me and known me...For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb...The days [were] fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!

It only makes sense that Psalm 139 would be part of my day's reading after yesterday's encounter with the Lord! Nothing is a surprise to God. I noticed in this Psalm that these words were perfect descriptions of His nature and how He, as our Creator, knows each of us, perfectly:  searched, known, understand, comprehend, acquainted, lead, hold, formed, covered, fashioned.  He wants to do all these things for us. Take a quick read of the entire Psalm.

There is nothing about any one of us that escapes God.  He does know our thoughts.  He knows the purity and impurity of them.  There is no place where any one of us can hide from His presence.  He knows the intents of our hearts.  He IS acquainted with all our ways!  That alone should bring a measure of uncomfortableness within us.

It is He who has formed us, given us all that we have.  Even if we don't like what we have, it is ours by His hand.  It is an affront to our God when we are not satisfied.  The only dissatisfaction we should have is realizing we are not perfect and desiring God's perfection.

We are precious in His sight.  He is the one who formed us. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. His works are marvelous. He knew us before we were even fashioned, before the beginning of time, which is so inconceivable, yet true. His thoughts about us are also precious. We are His handiwork, created for His pleasure. And part of that pleasure for Him is to be in relationship with Him. He has more of a desire for that closeness with Him than our own parents have/had for us, if we are fortunate enough to have had loving parents. Another thing that is inconceivable.

When we are in relationship with Christ, when He is the center of our lives, His hand is upon us.  He leads us and holds us.  He is ever available in our time of need.  But we must have that relationship to receive.  Otherwise we could be counted among the wicked who shun the things of God.

Yesterday I received a word about myself from the Lord--the song came in the night. Today He is reminding me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made--I meditate on this.  It is not about me and all about Him.  In Christ it should be in my heart to examine myself and allow Him to work out and in me what He knows I truly am, not who I think I am--I am diligently searching.

Psalm 77:6 - I call to remembrance my song in the night; I meditate within my heart, And my spirit makes diligent search.

No comments:

Post a Comment